Chapter 17: Farewell

Anna's P.O.V.

We followed the people to the farm, and when they got out Iris ran over to a girl, and I followed. "Arden?!" She said as she gave her a huge hug. "Iris? I thought you were dead!" Arden said to Iris as they pulled out of their hug. I saw a couple run over to Hershel. The girl and Hershel started to hug and cry. "Daddy, I thought you were dead!" The girl said as she tightly hugged Hershel. "Baby I thought I lost you for sure! Thank God you're okay, Maggie!" He said hugging her and looking to the guy standing beside Maggie. "Glenn, I'm glad Maggie has had a man like you to keep her safe through this." Hershel said thanking Glenn for loving and protecting Maggie. I looked at Arden as Iris introduced me to her. "Arden, this is Anna. Anna, this is Arden." She spoke. "Nice to meet you, Anna!" Arden said as I shook her hand firmly, feeling slightly intimidated for some reason. "Nice to meet you too, Arden." I quickly avoided any further conversation by turning around, and when I did, I saw Conor and Rosaline run excitedly to come see me.

After everyone reunited it was about sundown. We all decided to head into the farmhouse and try to sleep. I dozed off on the living room couch with Iris in the floor on a mattress pad with Arden sleeping a little too close to her for them to be 'just friends.' I turned to face the back of the couch and finally fell asleep. Finally falling asleep I started having a dream with Mark, oh how I miss him. His sweet face was looking at me, and I felt safe and warm. Then something changed, his face turned all to twisted, decaying flesh. Thankfully I awoke from this nightmare when I heard a crash sound outside. I ran outside to see everyone: Glenn, Maggie, Arden, Rosaline, Conor, and Iris, all frozen at the sight of Hershel being surrounded by men with weapons. I ducked behind one of the patio rails on the porch to stay out of sight. "Look, we can all work this out. Talk it out!" Hershel said shaking his hands in front of him trying to protect himself. "There is nothing to talk about, just actions. And this is my next move." A man said as he stepped up and swung at Hershel with his axe, hitting the left side of his neck. Hershel fell to the grass as his blood became a dye, covering everything in a dark red liquid. Glenn put his hand over Maggie's mouth as she screamed in agony. "C'mon!" Glenn whisper yelled as he gestured for us to follow him behind the house. "Get in the car!" He yelled as we all did as he said to. Poor Maggie was still screaming and crying at the loss of her father. Glenn sped up as fast as he could to gain distance in case these people followed us, which they didn't. Dicks only wanted the farmhouse and the crops we had for themselves. Figures. Maggie was crying in the backseat as Arden squeezed Glenn's arm tighter every time Maggie's cries got louder. Iris finally spoke up after studying her map, "It will take approximately 3 days to get to Alexandria at this rate, on this backroad." I butted in by saying, "But we can't go back and get killed by whoever that guy-" "Negan." Arden said as Glenn slammed on the brakes, surprisingly not making a screeching sound. "What?" Rosaline said. "Negan, he's a guy who threatened out camp through another camp called Hilltop." Arden replied. Rosaline nodded. "But Glenn, that's Alexandria..." Iris said worryingly. Glenn nodded. Apparently, Iris used to hang out with Arden in Alexandria before the walls fell. "We are going to war with Negan's group, and Hilltop is our ally." Glenn said as the car fell silent.

We drove for an hour in silence until I spoke up and asked, "How is everyone else? Did anyone we love survive?" Glenn decided to reply, "Jessie, Sam, and Ron are dead." Arden chimed in "Carl got shot in the eye." She said staring out the window. "What? How?!" I said as she looked at me and finally replied, "Ron was mad at Rick for 'allowing' Jessie and Sam to die, and Ron hated Rick for killing his dad. Ron tried to shoot Rick, but Michonne came up behind and slashed her katana through Ron's back." My jaw was on the floor of the car. Arden noticed my expression as well as Iris's, she was shocked as well. Arden continued, " It's not done yet, I know it is insane. Michonne's katana through Ron's back caused him to lose his aim and shoot to his right, straight into Carl's eye." Arden said as everyone remained silent but shared shocked expressions. "What's your story?" Conor asked Arden. "Well, my mom got eaten alive, my neighbors killed and eaten. I joined Negan's group for a while in search for my dad. I snuck away when I heard a gate opening and found Alexandria....and my dad." Everyone listened. "Who?" Maggie asked. "Daryl Dixon." My jaw practically dropped to the floor-bed of the car. Arden nodded and laughed slightly, "I can't wait to get there and see him again." Glenn smiled and rubbed her head slightly. "They probably think we're all dead." Glenn said and Iris leaned forward to the front seat, "Yep, but that will make our return so much better."