Chapter 13:Recovery

I woke up to Joy and Matt talking, only I couldn't make out what they were saying. Everything I heard was a mumble. I opened my eyes but quickly closed them and groaned since the light of the room, well wherever I was, was too bright. I slightly groan from the pain forming in my body. "Well, look who's finally decided to wake up!" Joy said as she laughed. "Ugh...go away I need more sleep!" I said as I covered my eyes like a child when their parents wake them up for school. "But Anna...you've been unconscious for a week." Matt said as I quickly sat up and looked around. "WHA...A WEEK? NO STOP JOKING WITH ME!" I yelled as I tried to get off of a bed I was lying on, until I realized I haven't moved or stretched my muscles for a week, if that was even true. From my body aching as I tried to stand, I guess being unconscious for a week was pretty reasonable. I sat back down after I failed trying to stand up. I looked around and realized I was in a home of some sort. There were family pictures on the wall, nice looking furniture, and no walkers. One thing was missing, but I couldn't put my finger on what. "Well if someone would tell me where I am that would be nice right about now." I said sarcastically and squinting, still letting my eyes adjust to the brightness of the room. "Well, we have been blessed enough to have been welcome into this home. We were walking on the road, Matt was carrying you, and these people in a car stopped by. They asked us if we needed help, and we said yes considering your gunshot wound in your shoulder." I was surprised and looked at my shoulder as it began to hurt when I thought about it. "Wait what? I've been shot?" I asked as I noticed the sling around my shoulder and the white bandage covering the bullet hole. "Yes, you have." Matt said, but Joy interrupted by saying, "But you are healing now and that's all that matters. So anyways, they asked us where we needed a ride to. We told them anywhere where someone can help you with your shoulder. We got into the car and a guy introduced himself as 'Conor' and there was a girl who said her name was 'Rosaline'. They said something about a guy named Hershel who could possibly fix your wound. They asked who we were, and we told them of course. We got to a farm and Matt and Conor carried you inside while Rosaline and I talked about our past life before the apocalypse and so what and so forth. So, I came inside the house and Hershel said it wouldn't be a long procedure, but you were still unconscious. He didn't know how long you would be unconscious for, but he did do the surgery very well. One thing is that we've been helping on the farm and staying in here to check on you, so we are taking care of someone we love AND learning farming techniques. That's basically what happened this whole week." After Joy said that she smiled and gave me a hug making sure to not put pressure on my injured shoulder. I finally realized what was missing. "That's great that I'm well and all and thank you guys for taking such good care and looking after me, but where is Mark?" I asked as Matt and Joy looked at each other, as if they were nervous to tell me. "Where is he?!" I said louder as they still didn't say anything. Joy looked at me with a sad expression and I began to tear up. "Joy...Where.. is he?....Joy!" I yelled, bawling now. She swallowed hard trying not to cry herself. "No...but...they...took...him." She said as Matt grabbed her hand and rubbed it. I fell to the floor, not caring about my shoulder, my aching muscles, only about Mark. "Why....god why did you do this to me?!" I was screaming and crying at this point, and others rushed into the room to see what was wrong. "Joy?" Rosaline asked concerned about me as Conor rushed to the doorway. "She's...she's fine Rosaline." I was still crying until I felt my body go limp again...as I was picked up and put onto the bed. I sniffed, and my eyes closed....as I was asleep once again.