Chapter Two - Kenzie

Chapter Two

"Kenzie, I think I'm in love."

I laugh, leaning against the tree and drawing my legs up so my book is propped up better. "You say that almost every single week Jo."

"Yes, but this one is different; I can feel it in my boobs."

"There sure seems to be a lot of feeling done when it comes to your boobs." I muse, my gaze flickering over the words in front of me.

Suddenly, her hand appears in my vision, waving around so I can't focus on my book. I look up with a scowl, raising an eyebrow. "Stop studying for one moment and listen to me rant about my romantic struggles! And, for your information, there is a reasonable amount of feeling when it comes to my boobs, thank you very much. It's not my fault I'm irresistible."

I roll my eyes. "I hate to break it to you, but not all of us are as blessed in the brain department as you are. Some us actually have to study."

She narrows her eyes at me. "Just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I'm super smart Kenzie. That's extremely racist."

I just give her a look, pursing my lips. She cackles at me. "Ok I'm sorry, I can't even keep a straight face while saying that. I am super smart and irresistible. Bow down before me."

"Unless bowing down before you helps me to ace my Psychology exam tomorrow, I think I'll pass." I reply wryly, returning my attention back to the pages before me.

"Kenzie!" She whines, hitting my arm repeatedly. "Pay attention to me!"

I groan in defeat, slamming the book shut and giving her a look. I swear, the similarity my best friend has to an attention-seeking, stuck up three year old is uncanny. "Yes Jo?"

If I fail my exam tomorrow I am suing her.

"Ok!" She replies happily, tossing her black hair over her shoulder. "So I think I'm in love."

"We've already established that. And I still need to study."

She ignores my sassy remark. "This time's for real I swear. It's not like all the other times. We had a connection."

"Again, you say that every week Jo." I shake my head amusedly.

"But fine, I'll bite; who is it?"

"His name is Spencer." She says dreamily. "He's a new exchange student and he has the most delicious accent."

"Spencer?" I frown, my mind reeling back to the rather unwanted memory of last night. "As in tall, blonde hair, constant smirk that makes you feel kinda violated?"

"That's the one!" She chirps. Then she pauses, frowning at me. "Wait, you've met him?"

I grimace. "Unfortunately."

She gasps, her eyes growing wide. "You met him?? What's he like? Is he as wonderful up close as he is in a pair of binoculars? Does he have freckles? He has to; all cute guys have freckles."

"Yes, I met him for all of ten seconds, and he's quite an asshole if I do say so myself." My eyebrows shoot up at her. "I'm going to skip over that binoculars question because it creeped me out a little, and I don't particularly want to hear the details. And I don't know about the freckles because I didn't really want to stick around him and Nina long enough to find out."

"Nina?" Jo pouts. "Boo, that whore got to him before I did?"

"Yep." I pop the p. "And she practically had her tongue down his throat too."