Chapter Nine - Dionysus

Chapter Nine

Kenzie beams at me. "Spencer!"

Her warm greeting immediately has me suspicious; Kenzie's never nice to me. I raise my eyebrows at her friend. "Is she-?"

"Drunk? Oh yes, hilariously so." The Asian girl nods, her dark brown hair with ombre green tips bouncing slightly off her red dress. "Don't worry, she's not nearly as much of a stick-in-the-mud when she's drunk. She has no filter at all; it's absolute fucking gold."

"Jo!" Kenzie admonishes, hitting her friend's shoulder. "Why would I want to stick in the mud anyway? It's so brown."

I burst out laughing, and Jo shoots me an I told you so look. "Is there somewhere I can grab her a glass of water?"

"Sure thing, follow me." I chuckle, stepping back and letting them through so I can shut the door behind them.

"I don't want water." Kenzie pouts. She notices something behind me, and her eyes light up. "Oooh, are those vodka jelly shots? I kick ass at them!"

"Kenzie." Jo says so patiently it sounds like she's talking to a small child, pushing Kenzie in the back so she starts following me. "Jelly vodka shots aren't a game. You literally take them and that's it."

"What?" Kenzie's face falls so much you'd think Jo had run over her favourite cat. "Oooh, beer pong!"

"Spencer man, c'mon!" Someone shouts at me as I walk past, motioning to the ping pong table Kenzie had just spotted. "Come kick ass at beer pong with me!"

I scoff. "Andy, a girl could kick ass at beer pong better than you!"

Kenzie pushes past me, throwing up her arm. "I volunteer as tribute!"

All the guys standing around the table cheer, and the looks some of them shoot her makes my vision tint red at the edges. I push her behind me again.

"No Kenzie, you are coming with me." I say firmly, much to their vocal disappointment. "The only thing you are drinking in the next three minutes is water."

"Not you too!" Kenzie glowers at me, her finger jabbing in my face. "I thought you were supposed to be the fun drunk one!"

"Who says I'm not the fun drunk one?" I ask, offended. "I'm just the fun drunk one who knows how to stop an extremely hot drunk girl from doing something extremely stupid, while also being fun and drunk."

Her cheeks tinge red. "You're talking about Jo, right?"

I roll my eyes. "Yes Kenzie, Jo is the more drunk one out of the two of you. How she managed to drive you here in one piece, we'll never know!"

She smacks my chest. "Sarcasm is not a fun drunk one!"

"You caught me dollface. There's only one fun drunk person in the room, and it's not sarcasm." I smirk at her, and she goes an even brighter shade of red. She looks a little like a walking, talking tomato.

"Uh, guys?" Jo waves her hand between our faces, abruptly causing me to realise how close we'd suddenly become. "Not that I'm enjoying this weird flirt fest or whatever the hell it is, but I actually do want something to drink in the next twenty years, so...."

"Oh right, yeah." I blink. "Kitchen's this way."

"Thank you, oh revered fun drunk one." She drawls sarcastically.

"Cute, but I prefer 'oh revered fun drunk god'." I throw her a wink over my shoulder. Jo pretends to retch.

"Hey!" Kenzie frowns at me. "You're supposed to be flirting with me, not Jo!"