Chapter Three - Dionysus

dedication to my best friend caitlin bc she gave me my christmas present today and it was a hardcopy of Hades and I almost cried.

Chapter Three

"Kenzie!"

I don't even hesitate to think about it; I sprint out in front of the car, almost barreling straight into the brunette girl as I pull her off the road. The car speeds by with a loud honk, the driver yelling obscenities out of the window at us as he zooms past us.

I snort and pull the finger at him. "Maybe if you were going the speed limit, this wouldn't have happened! Asshole!"

A small squeak from the sidewalk distracts me from my tirade, and my attention is drawn down to Kenzie. She's sitting on the pavement with a glazed expression on her face, her eyes wide with shock. I curse under my breath and rub the back of my head, shooting her a guilty smile.

"You know, there are other, less dramatic ways of falling for me." I say cheekily, offering her a hand up.

She blinks several times, staring up at me blankly. "Wha-what?"

The grin slips off my face. I clear my throat loudly, waving my hand around in front of her face. "You going to just keep staring up at me, or are you actually going to take up my offer for a hand up?"

Kenzie shakes her head slightly, her expression smoothing out to one devoid of emotion. I almost do a double take; the change is so slick that I almost miss it. "Why did you do that?"

"Do what?" I arch my eyebrow up at her. "Save your life?"

"Yes." She grits her teeth, shoving my hand out of the way and pushing herself up to stand. She winces slightly, favoring her left wrist. "Why did you do that?"

"I'm sorry." I scoff. "I didn't know you had such an important date with Satan. I heard Hell is warm this time of year."

Oh, if only I could see Hades' face when I call him that.

"I don't." She replies, but even she looks unconvinced by her own argument.

"Then why did you walk out in front of that car like that?" I smirk. "I mean, I know our first meeting wasn't the best, but you didn't have to throw yourself in front of a car-"

"Geez, do you ever talk about anyone other than yourself?" She bursts out angrily, grabbing her bag up off the ground and stuffing her grey beanie back on her curly brunette locks. I hadn't even noticed it had fallen off when I pushed her out of the way. "You have the ego the size of a small country!"

"Come now, that's not fair; a large country at least, which would most definitely be named after me." I pout, and she huffs, glaring at me. I snicker. "Ok, ok, I'll stop. I know the truth is hard to bear." I pause, my gaze fleeting up and down her form. Her eyes are still a little glazed over in shock, and when she shifts a little under my scrutiny, I realise she's favouring the left side of her body. The guilt pulsing inside me deepens when I realise how hurt she is. I probably should have been a little more careful in the way I pushed her out of the way. "In all seriousness though, are you ok?"

"I'm fine." Kenzie replies shortly, but I see her wince when she touches her left wrist.

"Dollface, tell me; do you always have your head up in the clouds? Because from the way you were just glaring at the sidewalk, you were either really preoccupied with your thoughts or the sidewalk did something really rude to you." I give her a look. "Either option doesn't exactly speak highly of your mentality or of your insistence that you're 'fine'."