Chapter Twenty-Five - Dionysus

double update because i love you guys and this chapter is way too cute to not double update xxxx

p.s. my editor aka @_caitlinjade had the most hilarious emotional reaction to this chapter lol, i hope you guys all do too because i just about died from laughter hahaha

Chapter Twenty-Five

She gulps, staring down at her bare feet. "Why are you here Spencer? I'm nobody, remember?"

I grimace. Crap. I forgot I said that. "I was a complete dick earlier."

"Yeah, you think?"

"Well, you weren't being an angel yourself you know. Maybe if you hadn't-" I cut myself off when I catch sight of her sour expression. I sigh. "Look, I'm not here to fight."

"Then why are you here Spencer? Did you get sick of playtime with Circe?" She remarks bitterly.

"Circe?" I raise my eyebrows at her. "I finished talking with her about fifteen minutes after you guys left. I spent the rest of the afternoon looking for you."

Guilt steals across her face fleetingly, but it's quickly replaced with a hard expression. "Oh, so you weren't spending the afternoon with your new BFF? Shocking."

"Are you jealous?" I ask incredulously. She glares hotly at me, all but verbally confirming it. I hold my hands up in surrender. "Okay, sorry I asked. But to set the record straight, I don't like spending more time with Circe than I have to. She's nasty."

"I have sources who've claimed otherwise." She mutters.

"And are your sources Persephone?" I cock my eyebrow at her. She blushes and avoids my gaze. "That girl will trust any rumor she hears Kenzie. Including ones that said resident witch spread when she went through a rather obsessive phase that centered around yours truly. Rumors that are extremely untrue, by the way. I would never go there, not in a million years; which trust me, is a literal possibility for me."

"That's right, because you go for the brainless blonde bimbos, right?" She drawls sarcastically.

I throw my hands up in the air. "Is every word that comes out of my mouth some big twisted wrong in your mind?"

"Do you blame me?" She fires back.

"Come on, that's not fair! If you'd just let me explain-"

"No Spencer." She snaps. "I told you to leave me the hell alone. You were doing just dandy before, so why don't you-"

"Kenzie, for fuck's sake, stop cutting me off!" I exclaim. "I deserve to explain myself! Are you seriously not going to listen to what I have to say, after everything that we've been through?"

"Why should I?" She cries. "Why should I, when all you have said to me is complete bullshit?"

"That's unfair. Nothing I have said to you is bullshit! Not a single word!" I yell in frustration. "Do you seriously believe that I would lie to you?"

"I don't know what to believe anymore."

"Don't pull that crap dollface." I groan.

"My name is Kenzie. Stop calling me dollface. I hate it." She hisses, and I flinch. Remorse immediately clouds the furious look on her face. "Spencer wait, I didn't mean that."

"You know what I hate?" I reply hotly. "When the people that I care about don't give me the time of day to explain myself when I've screwed up. Who believe right off the bat that I'm this terrible person who spends months getting to know them and caring about them only because I think they're this reincarnated version of my ex. Because apparently, even if you only initially think that, you're condemned no matter what. Apparently, I have as much substance as a grain of sand. Nice to know that I hold such a glowing image in your mind."