Chapter Nineteen - Dionysus

Chapter Nineteen

After I leave Kenzie, I spend a good solid twenty minutes skipping stones into the ocean, watching darkness slowly stain the sky with it's inky blue fingers as the sun sinks below the horizon. I knew that Kenzie would want as much time with Jasmine and Jo as she could, and I wanted to give her as much time as I possibly could. The mission was taking it's toll on all of us, and I knew that both Kenzie and Evie needed time out to put it all behind them and return to some sense of normalcy, even if just for half an hour.

I, on the other hand, was a completely different story. I wouldn't know normalcy until I got my damn thrysus back; I was slowly going absolutely mental without it, and I could feel the power slowly leeching from the cells of my being the more time I'm without it.

Not even Kenzie could fix that.

When I finally return to where I'd left Kenzie, the night had officially settled around us, a light breeze ruffling up my hair slightly. I find Kenzie still sitting cross-legged on the sand, clutching my phone tight in her hands as she stares motionlessly out at the waves crashing gently onto the dark sand.

I clear my throat, looking down at her with a teasing smile. "You know, personally I don't get all that spiritual crap about waves and oceans, but hey, I'm not judging."

Her head whips up when she hears my voice, and without a word she leaps to her feet and throws her arms around me. I stumble a little, taken aback by her sudden actions, before I wrap my arms around her and rest my chin on the top of her head.

"Thank you." She mumbles into my shirt, her voice thick.

I smile a little, kissing the top of her head. "Happy birthday dollface."

God, look at me. Not even an hour after I grow the balls to tell her how I feel and I'm already a lovestruck sap. My ego is never going to heal from this.

"How did you manage it?" She whispers, looking up at me with shining eyes.

I wink conspiratorially at her. "I have my people."

She cocks an eyebrow at me, and I crack a grin.

"Okay, I lie. I text Jo, and the timezones managed to click into place. They had just gotten up. What can I say?" I shrug nonchalantly. "I'm a miracle worker."

"Thank you." She says softly, reaching up and pressing a soft kiss to my lips.

I can't help but grin at her. "See, I told you that I'd hold you to a kiss."

She rolls her eyes, pushing me away. "You know how to ruin a moment, don't you?"

"It's a hidden talent of mine that I've always possessed." I drawl, grabbing our shoes off the ground and flinging my arm around her shoulder. "Weirdly enough, people don't seem to revere it as much as I do. I wonder why that is?"

"You're an idiot." She snorts, tugging me forward. "Come on, Evie's probably waiting for us at the hotel."

I scoff. "No way, she'll be too busy shagging her man til the moment before we have to leave."

"Ew Spencer, spare me the details." Kenzie wrinkles up her nose. "Who is he, by the way? You guys keep skirting the issue whenever I ask, and it's driving me crazy."

"Oh, little Miss Secret-Keeper's getting a taste of her own medicine, is she?" I cackle wickedly, and she glares at me. "Alright, I'll divulge the big secret; it's the devil."

"Spencer!" She smacks my shoulder with a laugh. "Be serious!"

"Oh, I'm completely serious!" I nod my head. "Evie is dating Satan."