Chapter Thirteen - Dionysus

Chapter Thirteen

My jaw literally drops to the floor when I turn around. "Evie?!"

"Oh, so you do remember who I am!" She gasps sarcastically, her bright green eyes flashing dangerously. "You know, the past two years of complete silence almost convinced me otherwise."

Then she punches me clean in the face.

Kenzie gasps in shock and I inhale sharply, staring at her in complete shock. "You know, I'd imagined that moment being a lot more sentimental and lovey-dovey instead of a punch to my beautiful face."

She punches me again.

"Jesus Evie! Are you trying to put me out of business?" I groan, rubbing my jaw. My fingers brush across a stinging cut and I wince, drawing my hand away to find the tips of my fingers speckled with blood. "What have you got on your fingers, spikes? You're like the female Wolverine!"

She glances down to her fisted hand, remorse flickering over her face for a brief second, but it's quickly replaced by a fiery glare. "I've been waiting far too long to do."

I know I should fire back a retort - my beloved reputation is on the line, a girl just punched me - but I'm too distracted by a certain ring on a very particular finger. "You're engaged?"

"What?" She follows my gaze and shrugs very casually. Too casually. "Oh, yeah."

"But-what-how-" I splutter, my eyes wide with horror. "How long have you been engaged?!"

"Three months?" Evie rolls her eyes when my jaw drops again. "Well, what were you expecting Spencer? I'm going to spend eternity with the guy, it was bound to happen at some point."

Out of the corner of my eye I see Kenzie frown slightly, but I'm too caught up in the fact that my best friend is engaged. To my... uncle. Talk about ew factor. I grab her shoulders, shaking her slightly. "But engaged Evie!? Three months?"

"Three months." She smiles down at the ring on her finger. "Give or take a few days."

"Three months?!"

Evie turns to Kenzie with a sigh. "Can you do me a favour and slap him really hard so he stops freaking out?"

Kenzie freezes like a deer caught in headlights. "I uh-I don't like hitting people."

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little relieved when she says that; I'm not sure how much more of a beating my poor face can take. I shoot her a quick smile. "See, Kenzie has my back!"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Evie demands, her eyebrows skyrocketing.

"It's... You're engaged!" I splutter, any logical argument abandoning me completely. "I just... how?"

"Well, he got down on one knee and pulled this ring out." Evie starts sarcastically. I give her a look.

"I'm not stupid Evie." I protest. "I wasn't born last millennium. I mean, how did he-" I cut myself off, feeling disgusted even considering the idea.

"Propose?" Evie finishes for me, a blinding smile spreading across her face as she reminisces. "On Christmas day he sent me on a scavenger hunt to all the places where we had unforgettable memories, and when I got to the final destination Pluto helped him to propose."

I shake my head, clicking my tongue in disgust. "That guy is so whipped it's pathetic."

Evie's face drops a little. At that, Kenzie suddenly shakes into life, elbowing me abruptly. I start a little. I'd forgotten she was still here. "What?"