Chapter Twenty-One - Dionysus

Chapter Twenty-One

"He bailed?" I exclaim incredulously, and they both start, looking over at me. "What kind of irresponsible asshole would do that after knocking up his girlfriend?"

"We were eighteen Spencer. He didn't know better."

My jaw drops "Are you seriously defending him Kenzie?"

"I wasn't defending him." She snaps. "I was explaining his excuse."

"Idiot has no excuses." I scoff, grabbing a slice of pizza. "He knocked you up and completely bailed. That's literally the worst thing you can do to a girl, no matter how old you are."

"You would know, would you?" Evie raises an eyebrow.

"No Evie." I scowl at her, shaking my head. "I may have been the first jackass created, but I'm not the worst. I would not go cold turkey on a girl if I knocked her up."

"He didn't go cold turkey." Kenzie holds her hand out for a slice of pizza, and I hesitantly hand her one.

"Okay. I'm confused." Evie frowns slightly. "Explain. From the beginning please."

"There's nothing to explain, it's just your typical pathetic teenage soap opera." Kenzie sighs. "We'd been together for three years, even planned to live together once we hit university, then I got pregnant and he got scared." She swallows. "Violently scared. So he left."

Her dismissiveness stops all my fury at her situation short, and I'm left staring at her in silence. How she's managed to survive all of this and come out on top still managing to smile, I'll never know.

I don't think I ever will.

Kenzie's the one person I've never been able to figure out.

"Kenzie..." I eventually start, but she shrugs before I can say anything else, grabbing another slice of pizza.

"Like I said," She replies with a mouth full of pizza. "Nothing to explain. No matter what happened, I'm glad it did. He's a negative asshole I don't need in my life and she's the love of my life; I'll never regret my decision."

I pause, turning to raise my eyebrows at her. "She's the love of your life, is she?"

She rolls her eyes. "Different kind of love jackass."

"Well that's somewhat reassuring." I wink at her. "I was worried I had competition."

"You are unbelievable." Kenzie shakes her head, glancing over at Evie. Evie's still silent, her attention fixed on the grass in front of her. Kenzie nudges her. "Hey, you okay?"

"What? Oh yeah, sorry." Evie sighs, her fingers twisting her ring around her finger. I don't think she even realises she's doing it. "Just hearing you talk about Jasmine made me realise how much I miss him. This is the longest I've been apart from him since we met."

"Lord help me." I grumble, not bothering to hide the disgust from my face. "For I will soon sin if I'm forced to endure this conversation any longer."

"Shut up jackass." Kenzie throw her pizza crust at me. "Who is he?"

Evie's eyebrows shoot up incredulously. I struggle to hide my laughter. "You don't know?"

"No!" Kenzie exclaims, throwing her hands up in the air. "You both avoid the question when it's raised, it's been freaking infuriating!"

"Spencer, you're an asshole." Evie laughs, shaking her head at me. "Why didn't you tell her?"

"Because I honestly couldn't give any less two shits about it." I scoff. "It's not my business."