6 Things getting better

AMBER'S POV

At some point of time early in the morning, I woke up to someone crying. I immediately sat up and looked over Jenny's crib to see if she was alright. Only when I felt something cool on my cheeks did I realise that it was infact me. Suddenly everything happening over the past few days caught up to me and I feel back on the bed exhausted.

By the amount of crying I have been doing, one would say I have no tears left. As loud sobs left my mouth, I curled into fetal position, pushing myself further into the sheets. I lay in that position for a few hours, until I heard Jenny shifting in her sleep. I forced myself out of the bed and picked up Jenny.

"Good morning, sunshine" I tried a pathetic attempt at a smile. In return, I returned a bright smile. I lay her down back on my bed and checked her diaper. Then, taking her to the kitchen, I sat her in the high chair giving her a few toys to play with in the time I fixed her breakfast. I then poured some orange juice in her sippy cup and fed her some mashed banana slices. After making sure that she was full, I took her for a bath. Then I fixed her diaper and dressed her in a baby blue cotton frock.

I quickly set her down on the kitchen cum living room floor and went for a quick shower.

"Good morning dad"

"Good morning darling, you going somewhere".

"I was thinking of going to Annie's to see if I still have a job" i sighed. He came forward and kissed my forehead.

"Everything will be fine"

"I hope so dad, I hope so. You think you could manage with Jenny for a few hours". Hearing her name, Jenny immediately looked up at me and grinned showing her front teeth. My darling, she was so cute.

"Don't worry Amber, we will be fine"

"Thanks dad" and with that I kissed my dad on the cheek and went out of the door, praying that I still have the job.

_____________________________________________

I soon arrived at the diner. It was owned by Annie and her husband, Sam. Annie was beautiful at 5'2" and was a little on the plump side. She was a sweet, caring lady and reminded me of my mother. Sam too was a sweetheart and considered me as his daughter. They were a beautiful couple in their early fifties and I absolutely adored them.

As I entered the diner, the small bell chimed indicating my presence. I was instantly hit the warmth and the aroma of fresh coffee and bread. Annie immeditely looked up from the counter and when she saw me, she came over and hugged me tightly.

"Oh darling" was all she said before she pulled back and looked into my eyes as if searching for something. She must have seen something that she crushed me again into a big hug. I immediately broke down in her arms and she soothed me like a mother.

"Shh Amber, shh...you know, you don't have to be strong all the time" and with this, I buried my face in her shoulder and cried like a baby. I was so glad that there was someone who didnot expect me to put on a brave face and actually understood me.

Sam too came over and as soon as Annie released me, he pulled me into a hug, rubbing my back. He didnot say anything, he didnot need to. I could understand his concern for me in the protective way he was holding me.

"Do I still have the job" I asked, wiping my tears.

"Oh dear, ofcourse you have it. You have always been my favourite" he said indicating to Beth and Becca who rushed over to me as soon as Sam released me. Beth made a face that looked like a dying chimpanzee. Although, she looked ridiculous but I smiled at their attempt to make me feel better.

We soon resumed our activities as soon as the bell chimed indicating a new costumer. The rest of the day passed uneventfully and it was already time for me to leave. As I came out after changing, Annie hugged me again.

"Amber, there is this job offer that may interest you. I know this diner job doesnot pay much and now that you have responsibility of your dad and Jenny, I thought you might want to consider this offer" I simply nodded, indicating for her to continue.

"Well you know Damien" I nodded again thinking about him. Annie had told me a lot about him when I first starting working here. Apparently, he was a regular here till a few years ago before he moved overseas for business and according to what she has told me, he absolutely adored the couple. Although he was young and rich, he preferred eating here and ever so often dropped by just for a hug. And I could see the same fondness reflected in her eyes considering how her eyes lit up whenever she talked about him.

"Well he is back and dropped by a couple of days ago. He is looking for a maid cum housekeeper. Here is his card and if you ask me, I think you should definitely give it a go. The pay is good and it will take your mind off things" she said gently looking into my eyes. I sighed and accepted the card, tucking it securely in my jean's pocket.

Maybe this is the change I have been craving. Maybe just maybe things might become better afterall. With that thought in my mind, I made my way over to my car already dreading the sleepless night ahead.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay guys, the male lead has finally been introduced. And I know that his chapter is shorter but the good thing is that the sad part is mostly done.

Yaaaaaaay! I am so excited....*big smile*

So how do you like the chapter. I spent the entire day trying to come up with the best possible way to introduce Damien. Phew! It took so much of my energy but I am glad that the chapter turned out the way I wanted it to.I am soooooo happy *happy dance*

byeye (:

Happy reading!