24. The confrontation

THIRD PERSON'S POV

Everyone was suddenly aware of the sudden thick tension in the air, everyone except Damien.

"What is she doing here" Maria shouted. She had planned on an interrupted evening with her family. But seeing her face she saw nothing but pure rage.

"Amber darling, how are you?"
Amber could make out Clint's voice directed at her that was filled with love, care and sympathy.
But she didnot want anyone's sympathy.

"What do you think she is doing here. Obviously, my son" Maria screeched.

"Enough Maria. Not one word about Amber" Clint bellowed.
He knew Maria had never liked Amber and still blamed her for their son's death but he couldnot bring himself to hate the person he had come to think of as his daughter.

"No. She deserves everything I am saying. She has already snatched one son of mine, now she wouldn't leave the other one too? Why won't she just leave my family and let us be.
Hadn't I always said she was after money but no, you never listened to anything I had to say.
She trapped Dylan first and now that he is out of her way, she went after the bigger fish. "
There was no stopping her mother-in-law who was on the verge of going into hysteria.

Deep inside, Amber knew she had loved Dylan selflessly. And nothing in this world could compare to her love for him.
With Dylan's death, a small part of her had died with him too that day.
However, she couldn't help but feel dirty with the accusations her mother-in-law flung her way.

Through the haze of her emotions, the reality stuck her like lightning.

Damien was Maria's son!

Damien was Dylan's brother!

He was her brother-in-law!

She had only wanted to move on and start afresh with her small family. Was that too much to ask.
By the looks of it, it was. And now everything that she had managed to build with Damien and Jenny would be lost. Just like that.

So she had been right all along.

She had been right to keep her distance with Damien.

She had been right when she had been trying to guard her heart and herself against the pain that she didnot want to got through again.

There had been hints everywhere. She had just been blind to not see them. Because she had been too busy building a future that was never meant to be.

Jenny calling him Dadda. She had recognised him the first time she had seen him. The first time she had touched him.
Didn't they say that the children saw things no one else did.

Both Dylan and Damien not liking Ginger.
It had to be more than just a mere coincidence.

Damien returning after Dylan's death.

Him having a brother and a sister. And the sudden change in his demeanour when I had asked about his family.

And him being the CEO of D&D corp.
Hadn't she always wondered what the name meant!

And now everything seemed to crumble right in front of her eyes.
Her dreams, her hopes, her future....their future, everything!

Amber had been too engrossed in berating herself that she found herself jerking back to present with Damien's loud voice.

"Enough" and just like that all the voices stopped. All but Maria's loud sobs and Amber's thoughts.
Vanessa had already taken Jenny with her to the guest room. And she was glad for she didnot want her baby to pick up the heated vibes that something was wrong.

"Will someone explain to me what is going on here" there was an edge to Damien's voice that unsettled her.
She just wanted to escape the inevitable, the humiliation, the rejection and the pain that would follow the truth.

"I..I...I am..." seemed like her voice had deserted her.
She wanted to run away but then she wasn't a coward. She knew she had to do this on her own.

"She is Dylan's widow" the words were said with so much venom she felt herself recoil from their impact.

Damien found himself freeze with his mother's answer.
He wanted to scream that couldn't be true, that there was some misunderstanding but he couldn't bring himself to say anything.

He needed time to think, to process everything and come to an understanding with what was happening. With what had suddenly changed.

Everything made sense now.

Amber keeping a distance from him.

Her not giving him a chance, her not giving them a chance.

But that doesn't mean that she knew about you from the beginning.
She would have kept her distance with every guy. Provided his mind.
And with that small reassurance, he found himself calm down a little.

Jenny calling him Dada.

Jenny's father not being in the picture.

But then how could Jenny be Dylan and Amber's daughter. Hadn't Dylan married only a few month's back. Does that mean Amber already had a baby when she married my brother.

Was she really trying to trap him like she did with her brother. For money. For a father for her daughter.

But then I heard her talking to herself. She hasn't wanted to pursue anything with me for she hadn't wanted to take advantage of me and my money.

Was that a trap too?

But that's not Amber. She wouldnot do anything like that.
I have seen her, observed her and studied her.
She doesn't seem anything like that. She has not once done anything that would prove otherwise.

There has to be more to the situation.
He couldn't believe Amber would do anything that would question her self-respect and self-worth.
She was not a shallow person. She gave more than she got.

And he made up his mind to not question her character. For he knew, it wasn't tainted.
But he tensed thinking about his moment of doubt and a sudden rage blinded him.

Did he not have enough experience with lying, cheating wh*res who wanted nothing but his money.

And just thinking about it, he felt himself shaking with rage.
Which was directed at himself and not at Amber.

But seeing Damien's expression, Amber knew there was nothing left for her here.

She wanted to tell him that she wasn't with him for money, or to find a father for Jenny in him.
But she was with him because she had wanted to.
Because she has finally gathered enough courage to move on with him.
Because she wanted the three of them to be a family.
And because she had found him to be her everything.
And she wouldn't have kept the crucial information about her being a widow from him. She was just not ready yet.

But seeing him in that moment, she couldn't bring herself to voice anything that would help her situation.

So she simply left with Jenny.
And Damien watched her go!
Just like that, he let her go!

----------------------------------------------------
I hope you like it.
And if u do, there is a small star down below. Donot forget to touch that. See if it works!!😉

Comment and vote,

Happy reading! (: