10 Baby crushes

AMBER'S POV

It had been a couple of weeks now since I started working for Damien. It was an exhausting job and I was alone for the most part but I could not complain for now I had a job that paid well and the fact that I could now support my family without worrying about every single penny that was spent was enough to keep me going.

And Damien usually left me alone expect for the few things he needed something done on a few occasions, and the most we talked was when wanted his coffee while working in his study. And I liked it that way. That was about it, well almost.

It happened a few days after I started working. After fixing Damien's plate, I was in the kitchen thinking about how my life had changed so much after Dylan that I did not hear Damien come in. He cleared his throat loudly scaring me and as I turned around abruptly, the hem of my dress stuck in the side drawer on the counter. To stabilise myelf, I firmly planted my hands on his chest unknowingly.

And then it happened. I felt a jolt of electricity shoot though my palms and by the way his breathing quickened, I knew he felt it too. Very slowly, he brought his face closer and I do not what I had expected but I closed my eyes. In the next minute, I felt him remove the hem of my dress from the drawer.

To say it was awkward would be an understatement.

"Did you need something Mr. Ree...umm Damien" I asked nervously, averting my eyes

"I just wanted to inform you that I have a business dinner to attend tonight, so you may leave early whenever it suits you"

I merely nodded my head, still not able to meet his eyes and with that he was gone.

Immediately a lone tear escaped my eyes, reflecting my inner turmoil and the humiliation I had brought upon myself. I felt like I had betrayed Dylan and his memories.

"I am sorry Dylan, so sorry, please forgive me" I wispered, sitting on the kitchen floor, hugging my knees.

I stayed in that position for I don't know how long, collecting my thoughts. Then with a new found determination, I wiped my tears and got up. I love you Dylan and nothing can change that. I cannot lose this job but it won't be very difficult to avoid Damien considering the size of the house, and with this resolve I set to work.

---------------------------------------------

I was brought out of my thoughts by Jenny tugging my skirt. It was a Sunday today. So I decided to bring Jenny to the park to spend some more time with her since I did not have work today. I know dad would never accept but he got tired with Jenny's energy. He deserved a break too, I thought thinking about what dad would be doing now.

He would probably be with mom. He had to visit her last Sunday but Damien had requested me to work then because he had some guests coming over. I knew dad was disappointed but did not say anything.

"Yes munchin, are you done?" I asked looking at her muddy hands and clothes.

As soon as we had reached the park, she had hobbled over to the flowers and I knew today would a long bath time. I sighed thinking about it.

Soon she was joined by a cute little girl about the same age as Jenny. Her mother was by the swings holding a little boy about an year or two older. She seemed like a friendly woman and waved at me, and hesitantly asked me to look over Hannah too, which I realised was Jenny's new friend's name. I nodded slowly giving her a small smile.

It would do Jenny good to have someone her age to play with since she spents all her time with either dad or me.

I picked them both up and walked over to Hannah's mom.

"Hi, I am Amber. You have a cute daughter" I said handing Hannah to her, giving her a small smile.

"Hi, I am Alena. Nice to meet you and thank you"

"Do you live around here?"

"Yeah, we live in the next block. Do you come here often? I have never seen you before"

"Actually it's my first time here. Usually my dad brings her here"

She was about to say something when the cute little boy came hugging her legs.

"Ethan, say hello" Alena asked him

"Hi" he said meekly looking from behind her legs.

"Hello Ethan, I am Amber. I saw you on the swings. Do you think you could teach me how to go up so far?" I asked getting down to his level with Jenny still in my arms.

I got the desired response when he came to stand in front of me and looked at me curiously probably deciding if I was serious. How cute!

"You seem to have a way with kids. Usually he does not like the people he meets for the first time. But he seems to like you considering he is not throwing a tantrum.

I merely laughed trying to straighten myself. But then I saw Jenny holding Ethan's hair. And he did not seem to mind. Sweet!

"Oh my God! I am so sorry. Jenny leave Ethan's hair now!" I said in my scary mommy voice. But she only seemed to think it would be funny to start pulling on it and giggling.

Hannah too joined the giggling with her new found friend. And I slowly opened Jenny's fist to release Ethan's hair.

"She is so cute" said Alena laughing. "And Ethan seems to have been taken by her" she said chuckling pointing towards Ethan who was fondly looking at Jenny.

"Oh God, no. I am not dealing with baby crushes" I said groaning but Alexa was looking at me amused. "And you young lady, have some explaining to do" I said looking at Jenny.

We exchanged our numbers and bid good-bye. She seems nice, I thought on our way home. May be we can arrange play dates in the future.

----------------------------------------------

It had been quite a tiring day for Jenny, so after a quick bath, she was down for a nap and out like a bulb.

As for dad, he wasn't home yet but that was expected.

The rest of the day was quite uneventful with Jenny cuddling with me and dad on the couch. She was continuously babbling Ethan's name in her baby language.

Dad furrowed his eyebrows asking about what she was saying. After explaining him about today's events, I said, "dad I am so scared. She is just one and already seems to have a crush. What if I am not a good mother to her in the future?"

"Babygirl, there is no need for you to doubt yourself. You make an absolutely capable and loving mother. And as far as Jenny is concerned, don't worry, she is just a baby.

She is going to be a gorgeous young woman when she grows up but don't worry until then. I will be with you to ward off all the boys that come anywhere near our baby"

His words brought back some painful memories. These were the words Dylan had said when we had first taken her. He had said that he would not allow any guy to be within a mile radius of our daughter. I had been amused then but now I wish he was with me.

Keeping aside these memories for the time being, I got up to prepare dinner, aftre which we retired to our rooms with Jenny in my arms.

After a lot of tossing and turning, I realised that sleep was nowhere near. So I went up to my closet and took out my memories box. Talking to Dylan's photographs for sometime, I closed my eyes thinking about how to face Damien tomorrow.

--------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I know it's a late update considering that I have been updating quite frequently. And I was supposed to put it up yeasterday night but there was no electricity, so no battery and wifi.

Anyway tell me how you like the chapter.

Please vote and comment.

I love you hunny bunnies :)

Byeeeee and happy reading :)