Chapter Twelve

My heart races as my body jolts awake, my eyes opening to the bright morning light that peaks through the dark curtains of my bedroom.

How did I get here? I think as I sit up in my bed, running a hand through my tangled, strawberry blonde hair. What happened to the living room?

With creased eyes, I reach over to my night stand, unplugging my phone from my charger as the screen lights up. I don't remember plugging my phone in either.

A text from Stuart displays across the screen of my iPhone, making my heart race.

Stuart.

Quickly, I slide my thumb across the screen, opening the text from the boy that's been on my mind for the last month and a half.

From: Stuart
Hey, thanks for studying with me last night. Sorry I didn't say goodbye. You fell asleep during our Boy Meets World marathon.
P.S. I carried you to your bed. You didn't teleport. (;

My eyebrows crease further as he mentions nothing about the kiss. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like that's a relationship defining moment.

Before I can register it, my fingers are flying across the keyboard.

To: Stuart
Are you sure nothing else happened last night? I woke up kind of confused.

I press send before I have a chance to change my mind. His response is almost instantaneous.

From: Stuart
All we did was study and watch Boy Meets World. Why? Have any wet dreams about me?(;

A sigh comes from my lips as I roll my eyes, thinking, Almost.

To: Stuart
Haha, you're so funny. I'm dying of laughter. Literally. Anyway, I'll see you at the challenge, yeah?

From: Stuart
You're not going to breakfast?

To: Stuart
I don't really have much of an appetite. You guys go ahead, though.

From: Stuart
Okay. See you there!

Sighing, I close my phone, throwing it to the end of my bed as I run my hands over my face, groaning. I can't believe I dreamed the whole thing! It seemed so vivid.

It's already turned out to be a shitty day and it isn't even nine in the morning.

////

A sigh leaves my lips as I walk up to the door of the room with all the phones and computers where the people from the Google Helpline usually work. All of the interns sit in their own cubicles, some conversing while others are preparing themselves for the challenge.

My breath hitches in my throat when I lay eyes on Stuart. I never thought I would get like this about a guy. I promised myself I would never get like this about a guy. But that's before I knew what it felt like. I never imagined it could feel like this.

He looks over to me, his whiskey eyes catching my green ones. And suddenly, I'm taken back to the first day we met. When he sat across from me in the café, sitting there like it was the most normal thing ever. Our short conversation afterwards. It all seems like it was so long ago, when it had only been a few weeks.

Slightly, the corner of his lip tilts up in a smirk as he looks over at me. I swear to God my heart skipped a beat. He lifts his hand, waving me over before patting the empty seat next to him. A shy smile graces my lips as I timidly walk over, taking the seat next to him.

"Are you feeling better?" he asks as soon as I sit down.

At first I'm confused by his question, when I remember that I told him I didn't have much of an appetite this morning. I give him a reassuring smile. "I'm fine. It must've been from all the crap I ate last night while Boy Meets World was on," I tell him, causing him to chuckle.