Sixteen

I woke up with two flat hands on my chest and an unknown weight on my lap. I groaned, rubbing my eyes before squinting to adjust to the light coming in through the window. Baby blue eyes stared back at me, a small smile gracing Luke's lips. If I could relive one moment for the rest of my life, it would've been that one. The light from outside cast a shadow on Luke's face, half of his skin glimmering in the sunlight and the other half shadowing his perfectly sloped nose. There was nothing about that moment that I could ever classify as anything but perfect. Luke was perfect.

"My things are being shipped in today." He said softly, not moving from his position on top of me as I let my hands rest at my sides. I wasn't sure where to put them, but I was fighting the urge to place them on Luke's hips. "I think we might have to go pick them up."

"We'll go after your appointment." I smiled up at him, feeling every single cell in my body tingle with the feeling of Luke's hands on me. He sighed, clicking his tongue before he frowned heavily. I knew exactly what Luke was going to say, I knew for a fact he was going to try to get out of his doctor's appointment and just lie in instead. I quickly shook my head before he could open his mouth, not trusting myself to not give in if Luke begged me to stay. "Don't start," I gave him a half smile. "You're going."

He whined, bouncing on my lap like a spoiled child. I couldn't help the grin that spread over my face. This was how I had always imagined things with Luke would be, this was exactly what I wanted for the rest of my life. At that exact moment in time, I didn't even bother reminding myself that I had no soulmate and that Luke had just lost his. In my world, we were meant to be and this was how things were supposed to be. Luke and I, nothing else but Luke and I. 

I could see Luke's mood change right before my eyes, and before I could even think about what I was doing, I was flipping him over. My desperate attempt at cheering him up would have to work, because seeing Luke sad had to be the worst thing to see. I would never get used to it. It was now me straddling Luke, fingers digging into his sides as the blond squirmed and yelled, legs kicking underneath me as I tickled him senseless. His arms were flying everywhere, nearly hitting me in the face a few times as he shook his head, eyes screwed shut and mouth wipe open letting out screams and laughs mixed into one desperate plea for me to stop.

"Mikey, no!" He exclaimed, finally finding it in him to grab a hold of my wrists, holding them up in the air. It was now my turn to squeal, trying to get Luke to let go of me so that I could continue to tickle him. It didn't take long before I started getting tired, arms going soft as I panted, grinning down at my best friend who now looked happy again. 

I climbed off of him, knowing that I wouldn't be able to control myself if I just sat there on Luke's lap. I would want to kiss him and I knew that that would be wrong of me. If Luke wanted to kiss me, I would be okay with it. But kissing him only made me feel like I was taking advantage of my best friend. It wouldn't make me feel good at all. Surprisingly enough, it didn't take long before Luke was crawling back onto my lap, almost as if now, he couldn't stay away. Deep down, I wished he couldn't. I didn't move a single inch as Luke hesitantly leaned down, thumb grazing over my lower lip as his eyes focused solemnly on them. I didn't know what any of it was supposed to mean, but as Luke's lips came in contact with mine for the second time ever, I couldn't help but kiss back.

It was a short, closed mouth kiss, but I couldn't even begin to fathom all of the things it made me feel and everything it meant to me. If kissing Luke was a mistake, I'd want to make that mistake every second of every day and deal with the consequences later. As if Luke could read my mind, he leaned down again, pressing our lips together once more before resting his head on my shoulder, nose digging into the crook of my neck. Nothing would ever compare to the feeling of having Luke's body pressed against mine.