Chapter 9

A/N: I'm going to switch the rest of this book to Olivia's POV, because I'm probably going to write a second book in Emma's POV, or no one's POV and...yeah.

Olivia Benson POV

"Wait." I tell the nurse. I took a few pictures with my phone, before they were swabbed for evidence, just to be sure.

Emma doesn't speak, she simply shuts her eyes, clenching her jaw tightly.

"Honey...did he do this to you?" I asks softly.

She nods once, struggling to keep her emotions in check as the nurse swabs her half-healed wounds.

I shake my head sadly, murmuring an apology to her. She shakes her head in reply, opening her eyes slowly as the nurse finishes what she had began.

-TIME SKIP TO AFTER THE RAPE KIT-

I answer my phone, after the fifth time it rang. I give a small nod to Emma and excuse myself from the room.

"Benson." I answer sharply.

"Liv, where have you been?" Amanda snaps.

I ignore her tone, deciding to move on with the conversation.

"Emma Hart agreed to a rape kit." I explain.

"Did you find anything?" She asks quickly.

I sigh. I had admired her haste to get the case closed at one point, but maybe...just maybe, she's rushing it too much.

"She's got cigarette burns all over her body. Cuts. Bruises. He, uh...he carved random shapes, insults, into her back." I say.

Amanda sits for a moment. "Is that significant?" She asks.

I was surprised she didn't know. "It appeared in the Sylvia Likens case. Back in the '60's." I say softly.

"Did they catch who did it?" She asks. Her tone was low, as if she suspected him for it.

"Yes. They caught all of them. Most are dead, but one is out. She's a school teacher, in Illinois." I reply. "Anyways, I have to go. I'm gonna stay with her overnight, you and Fin get up here by 8." I order.

Amanda sighs. "Okay."

I hang up and sigh, leaning against the tiled wall. I shut my eyes, inhaling a shaky breath. I had dealt with cases like this before, and worse. But I was getting attached. To the victim. To Emma.

I push off of the wall before my emotions get the better of me. I've been letting that happen much too often in the last few cases, and it was beginning to affect my work, more than it should.

I start to go back to the hospital room, but then my phone rings. Again. I was beginning to get a little frustrated with my team, until I looked at the caller ID. A number I don't recognize.

"Benson." I answer unsurely.

No reply. I could hear deep breathing in the phone. Almost gasping.

"Hello?" I say softly.

"Help." I hear a young girl whimper.

"Did you really think you could make me stop?" A deep voice asks me.

Before I can reply, the phone clicks. Dial tone.

He hung up.

But who was he?

I shake my head, sliding my phone into my pocket. I needed to get back. Before anything bad could happen.

I knew they wouldn't be able to trace the call, not after its ended. So I call. The one person I think I can trust.

"El, there's a problem." I say in a low voice.

"Olivia, where are you? What's wrong?" He asks, gradually becoming a bit more panicked.

"Calm down." I reply calmly. "I think we just stumbled on something big."

"Liv, IAB wants us to drop the case." He says.

I frown. "What? No! We just got DNA evidence!"

"Olivia. Let it go." He says. "It's just another case. What's special about this one?"

I groan in frustration. "I don't have to explain to you, okay?!" I snap, instantly regretting what I had said. "Elliot, I-"

I sigh as the sound of the dial tone came through the phone. Twice in 20 minutes.

I walk quickly back into Emma's room, expecting the worst.

Nothing. She was asleep. Probably for the best, considering that it had probably been a hard day for her to get through.

I sit in the chair near the bed, sitting silently and thinking. Just thinking.

The time passed quickly, and soon, it was almost midnight. I sigh, glancing at the still sleeping girl before leaning back into the chair and shutting my own eyes.

A/N: So, for those of you I haven't told, I'm going to try and update every 5 days. I barely made it today, honestly, things have been so busy. Sorry for the short chapter, but it'll probably get better 😂