Chapter 10

Olivia Benson POV

I wake quickly, to the sound of a nurse. She glanced up at me, holding up a form. Discharge papers.

It wasn't really my place, but I signed them anyways. Then I noticed that Emma was awake.

"Hey." She says softly, avoiding looking directly at me. Nothing new, I suppose, but it still broke my heart a little more each time.

I give her a weak smile. "Hi." I say with a small laugh.

Emma looks directly at me, making eye contact, which surprised me. But I knew better than to break it.

"I saw the discharge papers." She says dully. "I don't want to go to a foster home."

I open my mouth to speak, but I change my mind at the last second, sighing and shaking my head.

"Honey, I can't let you go on the streets." I say.

Emma frowns. She wasn't confused, but more angry. "Why not? Maybe someone will kill me. Get it over with." She mumbles.

"You know what? Come on. You're coming home with me." I say. Even I didn't expect to hear those words come out of my mouth.

Emma opens and shuts her mouth, and before she says anything, I shoot her a look. This look was pleading, but it was also firm. Something I knew she would respond too.

She rolls her eyes and sighs. "Will you at least help me up?" She says, just above a whisper. Her shell was slowly breaking down, and I knew that within days she would be an emotional disaster, no matter how hard she tried to keep up her facade of stability.

I nod simply and walk to her side, helping her up with ease.

"I've got it, thanks." She says dryly, once she's on her feet. "Can we go? Please?"

I sigh and nod, knowing I won't get through to her.

A/N: I'm sorry this is so short. I'm really not feeling this story anymore. It's becoming a struggle to write, it gets too emotional sometimes. I'm going to try to end it. I haven't written in over a month, and I really just want to take another break. But I'll try to finish this. 🙈