Tip 7: Formatting

Tip 7: Format

Formatting your story is very important; it can make a reader decide if they want to spend their time reading it or not. The English language allows for a lot of variation when it comes to how you decide to write. There are a few basics that allow people to understand and keep up with your story, though.

In example:

When dialogue takes place, "" (quotation marks or inverted commas) are used for conversation. These: (), {}, [ ], and ~ ~, are not. I've read a few stories up here that consistently use those as alternatives but it just doesn't work that way.

Every time a new character speaks, they get their own paragraph. It's much easier to read a story that goes like this:
"Hey," Greta greets Jack with a toothy grin.
"Hey," Jack responds with a matching smile.

Than one that goes like this...
"Hey," Greta greets Jack with a toothy grin. "Hey," Jack responds with a matching smile.

Beware of overusing commas. I had this problem and even still find myself doing it from time to time. The best way to avoid doing this is to learn how to use a semicolon. I would try to explain it to you guys but I'd probably slaughter it. Googling 'how to use a semicolon' can save your life. Also, read your work aloud and take two or three second pause whenever you reach a comma; that's how it supposed to be read and if it sounds choppy, there are some commas where they don't need to be.