Part One: Chapter 1: Life Ruiners

You know, I never thought that one person could make such a difference in my life. I especially never expected him out of all people to be the one to do it either. You look at people everyday and never even realize that they could one day become a celebrity, or save your life, or be the one you sleep next to at night...or...all three. And when I saw him for the first time, I never imagined we would even be on speaking terms. I mean he- ...well, you'll figure it out.

-

"So that's it? You're just going to keep ignoring me?" Mom spoke with a hurt tone in her voice.

"Angela, we have to let her just calm down. It's going to take her a while to acclimate." Dad responded with the 'voice-of-reason' bullshit tone he always has.

"Tom, she hasn't spoken to us since we left Oklahoma." Mom was getting agitated.

"Honey, can you please just cut the immaturity? I know you miss your friends and moving is hard and all, but we're going to New York! Can't you just be a little excited?" Mediator dad speaking again.

"'Cut it out'? You made me leave my home- my whole life in Bennington to follow some American Dream you conjured up after we got all of the money! Don't tell me to cut it out. Neither of you realize what you've done." That was the first time I had actually said anything to them since we had left.

Yeah, moving really sucks. If your parents ever try to persuade you to move, argue with them until your voice is gone. Don't let them drag you into it. The only reason we left Bennington is because oil, and a hell of a lot of it, was found on our farm. We were paid a lot of money for our land and even more for the oil that was going to be mined there. So naturally, what did my family make me do? Uproot and move to New York. That was a turn around if I've ever heard of one.

I can't say moving was completely horrible though...I mean yes, I had to leave my best friend, Nat, and that killed me. But it gave me an 'out' from my current relationship. I liked Danny and he had been my friend since I can remember, (because when you live in a town as small as Bennington, you know everyone). We had been dating for a few months when I got the news about the move. It gave me an excuse to end things with him. He was a wonderful friend, but not boyfriend material, and this way I could let him down easy.

My name is Jessica, but my friends call me Jess. I don't really know how to go about describing myself, but for the purpose of this narrative, I'll try. I'm 16 years old and ready to be 17 already. I'm very unafraid of people and always willing to speak my mind about anything. That can be a good and a bad thing. I have long, brown hair, and my eyes are the same bland color. I've always been kind of a Tom Boy, because my dad always had me help him around the farm. Being the only child, I've always kind of had to fill the shoes of being a son as well.

Well enough about me, let's get back to the story of how my life actually started.

We drove all the way from Bennington to New York because there was no way my parents were going to trust some moving company. Their excuse was that we get to 'see the country', and as fun as that was (not), I wanted to blow my brains out by the time we finally arrived. When we finally showed up to our new flat, I became depressed and slightly claustrophobic. It was so small compared to the huge, open farmhouse. There were two floors, and it was beautifully furnished. It looked like a pimp should live there. Being the stubborn girl I've always been, I chose the biggest room on the second floor. That was my payment for the unwarranted change of address. I slammed the door when they tried to object, which, in retrospect, may have been an overreaction. But I got the message across, so I don't entirely regret it.

-

The next day I had to register for school. Luckily, Bennington was large enough for us to have a school with a decent sized student body. However, I knew that it was no where near what the population of the high school here would be. This made me a little nervous.

Registration was no problem...it was the following events that caused me grief...