Chapter 28: Add This to the List

We laughed and jokingly pushed each other as we ran from the stables to the house. Inside the screen door we tried to catch our breath and continued to giggle silently like we were kids again, as we made our way into the dining room, where Hector and Nicholas already sat and waited for us.

"Good ride I take it?" Hector chuckled, handing us each a plate with burgers, corn on the cob, and cantaloupe piled on it. We all took our seats.

"It was wonderful! Maybe a little rough for Robert, but still fun." I nudged Robert with my elbow.

"Hey, I'm catching on. Soon enough, I'll be almost as good as you!" He said.

"i'm sure you'll be wonderful at it by the end of your stay." Hector joked.

"We also visited Eric." I added.

"Oh...really? I haven't had the chance to go down there lately...well...not since Melissa...um..." He poked at his fruit with his fork.

Suddenly Melissa yelled from upstairs, followed by a hacking sound. We all began to stand up, but Hector waved us off. He disappeared up the stairs, and we were left alone again. Listening to her cough so loudly, pounded a spike of sadness into my chest. My head fell against Robert's shoulder as a tear rolled down my cheek. He reached one arm around my shoulder and took my hands in his. He kissed the top of my head.

"It's okay Jess, it's alright." He hushed.

About ten minutes later, Hector reappeared, brushing his hands against his pants. "She's alright...shall we?" He motioned to the dinner. "You know, there's a barn dance downtown tonight?" He added, sitting down.

"Oh really?" I chuckled.

"Yeah! It's the first time they've had one in almost three months! Everyone goes to them. You two would have fun!" He nodded toward us.

I looked to Robert as his eyebrows narrowed. "You wanna learn how to line dance?"

"Um..." He sighed in defeat. "Might as well." He smiled.

"I wonder if Nat still lives in town." I tapped my lip with one finger.

"She sure does. She brought us a bunch of home made dinners and stuff after Melissa got sick!" He answered.

"Well that's Nat for ya." I shrugged.

We finished our food, and then ran upstairs to get ready. I wore a pair of light, high-wasted jean shorts with frayed ends (luckily I had shaved) and a red tank that was short enough to show a strip of skin above the shorts. I quickly fixed some of the loose curls in my hair and smeared on some makeup. I chose a pair of tan wedges with red straps that tied around my ankle. I headed downstairs to find Robert waiting with Hector. He was wearing a gray T-shirt under a blue flannel with my favorite jeans of his and a pair of Hector's cowboy boots.

"Wow, Jess, you look...wow!" Robert gaped.

"Thanks, you too." I smiled, staring at the boots. Damn he looks good as a cowboy.

"Shall we?" He offered his elbow.

"Here, you can take the truck." Hector tossed me the keys.

"Thanks!" I responded, linking arms with Robert.

-

"Where are we going exactly?" Robert asked as we drove through town.

"You'll see!" I answered. Only a couple minutes later, we arrived at a massive, brown log building. Loud music was playing as people entered and left through the big doors. "Well, here we are! Try not to draw too much attention to yourself!" I winked at him. He was clearly nervous about it.