Chapter 31: Headlines and Other Travesties

Nicky's giggling could be heard a mile away, but the sound seemed as though it was coming from behind a wall. Fear swelled in my heart, racing thoughts poured into my mind, and tears clouded my vision, as I let the deadly note fall to the floor. I was jolted from my trance when the spark of Robert's hands lightly touching my shoulders sent shivers down my spine.

"Jess, everything alright?" He spoke softly in my ear.

"He's here..." I was surprised that even a faint whisper came out.

"What? Who?" Robert's tone changed to worry as he noticed the paper on the floor, bending to pick it up. "...Johnny..."

I nodded frantically and began to sob as if just the sound of his name was enough to make my ears bleed.

"Momma?" Nicholas appeared in the doorway of his room, adorably concerned.

"Hey buddy! Your mom is...um...she's just gotta do a couple things....for...a little bit...er...did you see all your new toys?" Robert tried to distract him.

"...No..." He shook his head, still watching me, suspicious. I turned the other way so he couldn't see my face.

"Well I bet there are some pretty cool ones in there. Let's go see what kinds of movies you have!" Robert led him back into his room.

A few minutes later, he returned, closing the door behind him.

"I don't know what I'm going to do." I shook my head, wiping the tears from my raw eyes. "I can't lose him."

"Hey," He lifted my chin. "You are not going to lose him. Johnny can't take him from you."

"Like hell he can't! Robert, I took Nicky without notifying him or clearing it with the court first. He has every right to take him. And if I refuse and he takes this to court, I'm never going to see my son again." I sat heavily on one of the island chairs and buried my face in my hands.

"No, Jess. He can't take him from you." He searched for my eyes.

"How?! How do you know that?" I snapped, slamming my hand on the counter.

He recoiled and his eyes darted to the floor. "I won't let him." He shrugged and looked back at me.

"This isn't your battle." I said softly.

"You can't do that to me. This is every bit of my battle as it is yours." The words seeped with defensiveness. "I love you. And I love Nicholas...like he's my own son...I want what's best for him, and I feel that that is for him to be with us- you. So yes, this is my battle, and I will fight until I win." He stepped forward and took my tensed hand and lightly kissed it.

I stuttered and shook my head. "Th-thank you." Tears streamed down my face and I lunged forward, nuzzling my face in his chest. "Thank you so much. For everything.'"

-

"He's passed out!" Robert whispered, closing Nicky's door again.

"Hm, just like he was the last time you checked, twenty minutes ago?" I smiled up at him as I stirred the sizzling vegetables in the skillet. "Now what happened to 'I'll cook dinner tonight, babe'?" I raised my eyebrows, doing a poor impression of his comment earlier.

"I didn't say that, I said I'll help! You know I'm a terrible cook." He corrected, wrapping me in his arms from behind.

"Ah, right. Help. That does sound vaguely familiar." I giggled. "Here, I'll teach you." I turned to the cutting board where the chicken sat. "I need you to cut the chicken into small pieces. Like this." I demonstrated with a couple slices.