Chapter 24: Stepping on Toes

We argued for a few minutes over who would pay for lunch, when finally he won and payed the bill. Being stubborn as always, I left the tip. The car ride back was full of smiles and laughs. I filled him in on how Missy and Trevor were. I told him that they were engaged but hadn't set a wedding date yet. He told me more about how his movie was going and how excited he was for it. Then he invited me to come to the set sometime and meet his coworkers. I laughed it off as a joke, because when would that actually happen?

Upon arriving at the apartment building, I expected him to just say 'Goodbye' and then I would get out and go inside. But of course, I was pleasantly surprised. He turned off the car, and hopped out, running to the other side to open the door for me. I blushed as I remembered how he always used to do that for me. Suddenly, he looked around, sliding on his sunglasses, hoping he hadn't been recognized. Luckily his cover had not been blown. He walked me to the door...and then up the stairs (Because I knew the elevator would have been a dangerous place for me, and because the stairs gave me more time with him.) I never could stop smiling, even though I wasn't sure exactly how I felt on the inside. There was really only room to walk single file up the stairs, so I walked in front. After an eternity, we reached the top of the stairs and I turned around just in time to see his eyes snap from places they weren't supposed to be, to my eyes. He smiled, trying to cover it up, and held out his hand, suggesting that I keep going. I turned back and rolled my eyes, as I continued down the hallway.

I still had to look at the numbers on the door, to make sure I wouldn't attempt opening the door to someone else's home. Claire must have heard me coming, because her door opened when I was about ten feet from the door. She opened the door, looking at the ground and fiddling with the keys.

"Oh hey Jess you're back!" She said, still not looking at me. She lifted her head as I stood in front of her, waiting for her to look up, fully expecting the explosive meltdown that any normal civilian would display. "How was your lunch date with that uh..." And there it was. the wide, fast blinking, disbelieving eyes, thinking she could wink away the man standing in front of her. "What in Sam Hell is....Who the....HOLY SHIT JESSICA!" She put a hand against her forehead and braced herself against the wall with the other. She stared long and hard at the floor and then inhaled sharply.

I looked back at Robert, who was amused, and had already placed the sunglasses back on the top of his head. He was smiling and looking from Claire, back to me expectantly.

"Y-You never t-told me that...he...was...um..." She studdered.

"Famous?" I finished, smirking.

"Hyeah..." She exhaled finally. She placed her hands on her hips and gathered herself. "Wow...I actually can't believe this." She said, half laughing.

"I told you." I mumbled, raising my eyebrows at her.

"What? Told me what?" She asked.

"I told you you wouldn't believe me." I replied, hoping Robert wouldn't catch on that I had talked about him to her.

"Oh...right..." She nodded. "I uh...I'm sorry...I didn't mean to uh...freak out...I just...wasn't exactly expecting one of my favorite actors to walk up the stairs!" She started to blush.

"Oh well I'm quite honored then." Robert smiled and bowed with exaggeration. Then he stood up and reached out his hand. "Well I'm pleased to meet you. I'm Robert...not that I really needed to clarify..." He laughed.

Claire gingerly shook his hand, turning bright red. "I'm Claire..." She managed to spit out. "Claire Hudson...I'm Jess' next door neighbor." She nodded down the hallway.

"Lovely to meet you Miss Hudson. Are you coming to Jess' show tonight?" He asked.

Realizing she still hadn't released his hand, she yanked hers away, and wiped the sweat on her jeans. "Oh...um...I sure can! I can have the babysitter come tonight if you want Jess?" She looked to me.