Chapter 12:Re-Adjustment

I was being truthful when I told Robert that I didn't have nightmares when he slept with me. That night, I dreamt of being back home in Bennington. I saw Nat, Brooke, Ashten, Ben, and even Danny. And Danny wasn't mad at me anymore for leaving. They all acted like I had never moved. We were all back together, just like we used to be. I still lived on the farm, and they all were there. My horse, Clyde was there and just as beautiful as I remembered him. I ventured down to the creek that ran behind our house between the trees as I listened to the Warblers and the Bluebirds sing their beautiful songs amidst the gigantic Oak tree that stood in our backyard. The fields were painted golden by the sunset and it was warm and welcoming, just as I remembered. It was almost as if I had never left.

 But eventually, I had to come back to reality. Morning came almost unwelcomed, until I realized who was with me. As my eyelids slowly squinted and blinked open, I looked around my room with only my eyes, just as I did yesterday morning. I had no intentions of waking Robert. The longer he slept, the longer I could lie there, and just enjoy his quiet and calm company. Through the half-opened blinds, I could see light, fluffy snow falling just outside my window. It took me a second to adjust, because in Oklahoma, Novembers were still warm. All of New York was covered by this soft blanket of white, powdery, miserable, frigidness. I hated it, although, it was beautiful to look at. I thought I would be cold, but Robert held me close to his body and I still wore his sweatshirt, and my leggings. I never did change into my pjs. We were not in the same positions as when we had fallen asleep though.

He was still on his right side, but I had turned over, so I was facing him. His right arm extended straight, acting as a pillow for my head, while his left arm was draped over my side, holding me in close. His head was tilted downwards, touching his forehead to the top of my head. My head was laying on his bicep and my forehead was nuzzled into his warm, shirtless chest. I don't remember him taking off his shirt, but I wasn't complaining. Both of my arms were near my face. The left arm was under me, and folded against his chest. The right arm was folded closer to my face, and my hand was laying on his bicep, next to my mouth. Both of my legs were fairly straight, which was strange, because they usually curled up to my chest in my sleep. My left leg was slightly bent, but kicked out behind me, and my right leg was bent a little more, but sat in between Robert's legs, which were more bent, and curled towards me. As I listened, I could hear him inhaling and exhaling in such a way, that if it was any heavier, he would start snoring. His warm breath snuck down the back of my neck, sending sudden shivers down my spine, causing me to shake for a moment. I reached my free hand down and pulled the comforter up, over our shoulders. Robert didn't wake up, except let out a sigh and went back to dreaming.

I laid in bed for about ten more minutes. The clock read 9:06 when Robert began to stir. He inhaled deeply, which I decided was always the sure-fire way to know if he was awake. He figured I was still asleep and moved his head to kiss my forehead, just as he had in the past. This time, the kiss felt different, it felt more meaningful, and loving. I stretched a little as I bent my head back to look at him. He was smiling that adorable, idiotic smile that he had last night while we danced.

"You're so...cute when you sleep..." He looked at me, looking slightly puzzled. I giggled, and covered my mouth with my right hand as I looked down. Even after braces, I hated my smile, and on top of it, I didn't want him to possibly smell my breath. Robert's look became more confused. "Why do you do that?" He asked. I stopped smiling.

"Do what?" I batted my eyes at him.

"Cover up your mouth when you smile!" He glanced from my eyes to my mouth.

"I don't know," I looked away from him, resting my head on his chest. "I guess I just never found anything worthy in my smile for people to see. I've always hated it." I said quietly.