Chapter 8: Just Another Day At Regis

The next week simmered down a lot. I woke up on Monday morning feeling awake and excited to go to school for once. I knew I would get to see the people who really cared about me, and I looked forward to facing my day. In the mornings, I would talk to Trevor by my locker until Missy got to school and he would walk her to class. Then Robert would walk by and tell me about the latest thing that was on his mind and we would have a laugh about one thing or another.

Come fourth period, I would stroll confidently into Drama and sit on top of my desk, swinging my feet and wait for Robert to walk in. He would strut in with his notebook under his arm. He would high-five and shake a few kids' hands and then turn to me and smile that dashing smile of his and he would drop his notebook on his desk and either lay across both of our desks, or sit on top of his and swing his legs in time with me, or sit in his desk with his chin resting on his hands, intently listening to my stories of the day while batting his eyes at me. Once class would actually start, Mr. Davis would make his way into class, take attendance, and then the whole class would migrate to the school theater to practice our in-class production. Robert and I would head up to the Light Booth and eat snacks and talk. By the third day, we figured the light board out and would take turns turning on and off the stage lights. It was so easy to talk to him because he was the best listener I'd ever met. He also happened to give great advice.

On Tuesday, Robert and I went to lunch alone. We got hot dogs from a vendor, and walked around, still talking about our life goals and dreams, even if they were stupid. It didn't matter to me. I just loved listening to him talk about his love of acting and animals and what his dreams were and what his fears were and all of his stories (real or not), I just loved listening to the sound of his voice. Before I would know it, he'd be asking me questions and waiting for my extended responses, and he would hang on every word, like he was writing in a mental diary.

The rest of the week, I invited him to come to lunch with Missy, Trevor and I. Trevor and Robert really warmed up to each other, once they found a common interest in shoes. That weirded me out, considering they were both very manly men, and they sat and talked about shoes. Missy would sit and admire Robert, just like every other girl in school did. She would always tell me off to the side though that she knew we had a thing so she wasn't going to bother trying with him. If only she knew the half of it...

Missy had called me Wednesday night saying that we had to go costume shopping Thursday for the Halloween dance on Friday night. Halloween was actually Friday night. I liked Halloween because it gave people a chance to be whatever they wanted to be, instead of themselves. So Thursday after school, Missy and I went to the shopping center that held the temporary Halloween supply store. As we were searching the racks, the costumes got skimpier and more creative.

"Just remember doll, the more skin, the better. It doesn't make you a slut here, it helps you blend in on Halloween. If you wear anything other than this bullshit, no one is going to want to party next to you." Missy said with a very monotone, unexcited speech pattern, not taking her eyes off of the racks.

She tried on several different costumes, before choosing the Little Red Riding hood costume. It wasn't too much, but it showed enough skin and cleavage for the Regis girls' standards.

"Aren't you going to try any of these costumes Jess?" Missy asked as she came out of the dressing room, fixing stray hairs.

"No, all of these costumes are shit. I've got an idea for a costume at home. You'll see tomorrow, I promise. But I do need to find the right shoes." I added smiling at Missy.

-

The next evening I decided to go full out. If more skin was what's cool, then that's how it would be. After getting home from school, I watched TV and texted Robert to see if he was going to the dance which, of course, he was. After about two hours, I went to go shower. While my hair was in the towel, I went in search for a pair of my old work jeans from on the farm. The knees were stained with dirt and a little blood and some holes. They looked a couple sizes too small. I took my scissors and hacked away at the light-blue jeans. Soon enough, they were cropped to the crotch. I then turned and got out a red and white plaid flannel. I cut off the sleeves and then cut the shirt in half, leaving enough cloth in the front to tie. I tried on the outfit for size, and it worked perfectly. The shorts were plenty short, but were high-waisted. The shirt tied perfectly around the bottom of my bra. I stuffed socks into the corners of it while pushing myself up to maximize cleavage. The shorts played enough 'peek aboo' with my butt as they really needed too. The frayed edges of my shorts added a nice touch.