Chapter 8: The Champions

"Welcome, everyone!"

The Great Hall packed with students respectfully quieted down at Dumbledore's words as usual. Even with the silence, the excitement in everyone could be felt as tiny whispers were exchanged. The hall was also set up differently, with all four house tables pushed to the side to make way for whoever the champions would be — well, that's what Analeigh supposed, anyways. It gave off the feeling that this was real, and within a few moments, the contenders for the Triwizard Tournament would be announced.

"Now the moment you've all been waiting for: the champions selection," said Dumbledore. He pointed his wand at the casket set in the front of the Great Hall, and with one swish, it opened and the Goblet of Fire was revealed. "I will announce each school's set of champions, starting with Durmstrang."

Hushed voices rang throughout the hall again as everyone eagerly watched Dumbledore approach the Goblet. He cautiously placed his hands onto its sides, and as if it sense the man's presence, the goblet's fire enlarged. Dumbledore took a step back just as a piece of parchment flew out. Dumbledore caught it skillfully and it was as if everyone held their breath while he said, "The first Durmstrang champion is Viktor Krum!"

The Durmstrangs who sat in the Slytherin table erupted in cheers. Viktor Krum stood up and the applause loudened. He strode over to Dumbledore and the two shook hands before he was escorted to the chamber next to the High Table.

And then, the second paper flew out. Dumbledore caught it once again and read: "The next champion for Durmstrang is Andrei Grigor!"

A thinner and taller yet still masculine boy stood up. Andrei's friends clapped him on the back proudly as he walked over to Dumbledore and the same thing happened with him and the headmaster. After shaking hands, he followed Krum out of the hall.

Analeigh rubbed her hands together in anticipation. After Dumbledore tells everyone of the champions for Beauxbatons, who were next, it would be the Hogwarts champions he would announce. The mere thought of not being chosen disappointed Analeigh, but she knew there were so many students there that deserved it. Still, if by chance she was chosen, Analeigh would be overjoyed.

"For Beauxbatons," Dumbledore went on after he caught the third slip of paper. "We have Fleur Delacour!"

As usual, the Great Hall clapped politely. Fleur Delacour, who was one of the many Veelas Analeigh remembered the moment her former classmates stepped into the castle, gracefully made her way to Hogwarts' headmaster. After a brief congratulations, she too left.

"Next..." Dumbledore read the next name that shot out from the Goblet. "Brigitte Champney!"

Analeigh saw a girl with eye-catching raven hair and blue eyes get up from her seat but afterwards didn't pay attention to her. Once she left the room, it was going to be time for the last two champions to be determined, both from Hogwarts.

"And the Hogwarts champion is..." Analeigh held her breath, watching Dumbledore in anticipation. "Cedric Diggory!"

The school roared with cheers and applause, most coming from the Hufflepuff table, of course. Analeigh watched as the bronze-haired boy stood up, beaming with pride like he had never done before. It unintentionally made Analeigh smile herself just seeing someone so happy together with the school supporting him so much. She was so distracted and already expected she would be called since someone as great as Cedric was the first champion that she barely heard Dumbledore's next words and more so couldn't comprehend what he said.

"And last but not the least, we have... Analeigh Heart!"

It was only when Hermione patted her proudly, when Harry nudged her with a big grin, and when Dean and Seamus pushed the girl to urge her to get up that Analeigh realized that she was called. She was chosen. She was one of the champions.