Chapter 39: Sacked

Needless to say, every single day after Dolores Umbridge's appointment as High Inquisitor was a nightmare. Not only did she stop them from literally learning during class, but she also drained all the fun out of being at Hogwarts.

One gloomy afternoon, Analeigh was walking with Dean Thomas to their Transfiguration class after lunch. She would have walked with Hermione and the others, but she had forgotten her book in the dormitory and had to go back to fetch it where she bumped into Dean. It felt a bit strange knowing that he was Seamus's best friend and, well, Seamus was clearly not on speaking terms with both Analeigh and Harry since that first day back at Hogwarts when he argued with the two.

"You know, Leigh, I really do believe you and Harry," Dean said conversationally as they left the common room. Analeigh wasn't that surprised since Dean had defended her and Harry during their first day of class with Umbridge, but it still made her happy to hear that.

"Thanks, Dean," she said quietly. "Does Seamus know that?"

"I might have mentioned it once or twice, but it always ended badly," Dean winced. "I don't really bring it up nowadays. He's my best mate, so I can't just stop talking to him all at once for that. I know he'll realize he's wrong one day. Just give it some time, alright? My parents don't understand what's happening because they're muggles, but I know Seamus's family is just scared. They don't want to believe a dark wizard who destroyed everything before is back to do it again."

Analeigh bit her lip and chose not to retort because she knew she might just insult Seamus if she did. But after letting Dean's words process in her head for a moment, she couldn't help but understand where he was coming from. Fear made people so crazy things, and while she didn't like the fact that so many people were ignoring the truth about Voldemort's return, she couldn't completely blame them, either.

As the two Gryffindors made their way down to the first floor, they soon noticed that the halls were more packed and louder than usual. Murmurs of interest rang all around, making them wonder what in Merlin's name was getting everyone so riled up. Eventually, Analeigh and Dean bumped into Neville in one corridor and called out his name.

"Neville!" He stopped walking to acknowledge his fellow Gryffindors.

"Hi, Leigh, Dean," he said with a small smile, stepping aside to talk to them.

"Do you have an idea what's going on?" asked Analeigh with a frown.

"It's Professor Trelawney," Neville answered in pity. "Word is she's getting sacked from her post as Divination teacher."

With that, the three fifth years joined the crowd and hurriedly made their way to the entrance courtyard. It was heavily crowded, but they managed to get a good spot and watch what was happening. Professor Trelawney stood in the middle with her knitted rucksack bag, sniffling and dabbing her face with her handkerchief. Mr. Filch lugged her trunks out and dropped them by her feet carelessly as if he didn't feel any sympathy for the woman in tears before him.

And then, Professor Umbridge strode out of the large, front doors. A hush fell, and the only sound that could be heard were Trelawney's soft cries and Umbridge's heels clacking on the cobblestone floor on her way to the middle of the courtyard.

"Six... Sixteen years I've lived and taught here," Professor Trelawney said shakily. "Hogwarts is my home! Y-Y-You can't do this."