Chapter 22: The Second Task

A/N: I hope it doesn't bother you guys that the times in which some events take place will kinda change here (i.e. Neville/Dobby giving gillyweed) since the books and movies + my own storyline don't always align 😅 I know fanfics pretty much allow us to change whatever we want, but I just wanted to let it out here just in case it confuses some of you :)

"I don't think it can be done."

Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Analeigh were once again in the library, continuing with their seemingly endless search for a way to breathe underwater for an hour at the least. There was only a week left until the Second Task and they still hadn't made any progress.

"There's nothing. Nothing," Ron was saying defeatedly. "Closest was that thing to dry up puddles and ponds — that Drought Charm — but that was nowhere near powerful enough to drain the lake."

"There must be something," Hermione insisted. "They'd never have set a task that was undoable."

"They have. Harry, just go down to the lake tomorrow, right. Stick your head in, yell at the merpeople to give back whatever they've nicked, and see if they chuck it out. Best you can do, mate."

"Don't encourage him," Analeigh said, though she was secretly entertained by Ron's suggestion. "You know he'll really do it if that's his last option."

"I know what I should have done," Harry finally spoke up, resting his head on a page. "I should've learned to be an Animagus like Sirius."

"Yeah, you could've turned into a goldfish any time you wanted!" Ron exclaimed.

"Or a shark," Analeigh suggested. Surely, a shark would be more useful if the lake was as dangerous as it was rumored to be.

"Or maybe a frog."

"But then again, it does take years to become an Animagus," said Analeigh thoughtfully.

"And then you have to register yourself and everything," Hermione added. "Professor McGonagall told us, remember? You've got to register yourself in the Improper Use of Magic Office... what animal you become, and your markings, so you can't abuse it..."

"I think Harry was joking, Hermione," Ron told her.

"Yeah, I was," Harry clarified, looking more restless by the second. "I know I haven't got a chance of turning into a frog by next week."

With a sigh, Analeigh got up from her seat to return a stack of now useless books

With a sigh, Analeigh got up from her seat to return a stack of now useless books. As she was walking down the aisle, she nearly crashed into a fellow Gryffindor who had just turned the corner.

"Oh, Neville," she let out a breath when she realized who it was. "Sorry, didn't see you there over these books."

"I-It's no problem," Neville reassured. "Why do you have so many books?"

"Well... Harry still doesn't have a plan for the Second Task," Analeigh admitted, placing the books close enough to the shelf for the enchantments to do its work.