s i x t e e n

i woke up to bright lights.

my head pounded painfully in my head as i groaned. i coughed a couple times, my throat feeling small and swollen, but it caused a burning pain to swell in my chest. wide eyed, i clawed at the area that it resonated in, begging for the pain to go away. it was like nothing i'd ever felt before.

eventually, when it wore up, i sighed in relief and relaxed my body. i looked around the room and immediately realised where i was.

i was in the hospital.

i was hear because i passed out.

i passed out during the fire.

i sat bolt upright as i remembered everything that had happened. where was luke? was he safe? did he pass out too? was he in the hospital like i was?

suddenly, i heard a timid knock on the door and i looked over. a kind looking female doctor stood in the doorway, a friendly smile on her round face.

"hi, natalie. i'm glad to see you've finally woken up."

i nodded, forcing a smile onto my face as i shifted in bed. pain sliced through my leg and i winced, looking down to see a bandage wrapped around it. "what happened to my leg?" i asked quietly.

"you were burned pretty badly," she answered, walking over and taking a seat on the edge of my cramped bed. "i'm doctor olivia marten."

"hi," i said shyly, tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear.

she smiled down at me. she was a short woman who looked as though she was of asian decent, with silky, black hair and hooded, brown eyes. "how are you feeling, sweetie?" she asked.

i swallowed the lump in my throat and nodded. "i'm alright, i guess," i replied.

"any nausea? dizziness? sore throat? shakiness?" she asked all the questions in the one sentence and my clouded up brain was struggling to process what she had said.

"all of the above," i laughed, and the doctor chuckled, scribbling something down on her clipboard. i bit my lip nervously before asking the question i'd been wondering since i woke up. "do you know where lu- um, mr hemmings is?" i paused. "i mean, he did try to save me and i-"

"yes, of course i know where he is," she said with a smile. "he's still asleep, but as far as we can tell, he's going to be okay. you can see him soon, but first," she patted my leg and stood up, "the police are here to talk to you. good luck and i'll be back after they're gone."

as she left, i sighed nervously. i'd never actually been in trouble with the police, but that didn't mean i wasn't slightly afraid of them.

immediately after she had left, a tall, bald man with a police uniform on entered the room. he had a wide grin stretching his face and kind blue eyes to go with it, and straight away i felt at ease.

"hello, natalie. good afternoon. or, i suppose to you it's good morning." he cracked a smile and i laughed slightly. "i'm officer thompson. how are you feeling?"

i eyed the notepad and pen in his hand and smiled. "i'm feeling okay, thanks."

"well, that's good. the doctors say you'll make a quick recovery." he smiled, and i smiled back. "i just wanted to ask you some questions about the fire."

"o-okay."

"and while i'm here, i'd also like to ask you some questions about luke hemmings."

••••

i'm so sorry this is so short but i fell off my horse earlier this week and cracked a rib. i've been in constant pain, and i've been unable to update, so i wanted to get something up! sorry again!