Chapter 8: The Boy Wonder

Tim Drakes P.O.V

I wait patiently on a roof top above Gotham's national bank but I can't help but let my mind wander at this deathly dull task. I have been tracking all of Two-Face's movements for the past couple of months and I can finally intercept him here at the bank. Batman had given me leave two months ago to track down Two-Face, Batman told me Gotham had been quiet, quiet enough for me to leave and track down Two-Face's movements. Batman had learned from mentoring Dick that he needs to give space to his pupils. Apparently Dick had exploded about six years ago, left to become his own hero when he was eighteen, he wanted more freedom.After what happened with Jason and the loss of Dick from the batfamily he was reluctant to take me on as the third Robin but he has tried his best to accommodate to what I need. I'm older now, I need my freedom and what do I do with my freedom? I hunt down Two-Face.

Two-Face, formerly known as Harvey Dent, had been robbing banks up and down America from Coast city to Metropolis and now he is back in Gotham City and I plan on stopping him. Rain begins to fall and I pull up the hood on my suit, so I can keep my vision clear as I look down at the Bank.

Seven men stand out to me, all of them have ear pieces in their ears and are dressed in all black and carrying large bags  no doubtedly to hold the money that they are about to steal. Like clockwork all men place their fingers to their ears and move into the building. When will these crooks ever realize that it just gives them away? Amateurs.

I skirt along the edge of the roof, watching the men as they move in unison towards the entrance to the bank. All I have to do is wait for a signal of some sort, an alarm or a commotion. My only problem is knowing where Two-Face will be, is he here already? Stationed inside, maybe? Or is he on his way now? It's times like this where I wish that I had back up, I miss Barbara and Dick, I hadn't spoken to them in months.

I blink some water out of my eyes and watch as a car pulls up outside of the bank, a tall man stands up and opens an umbrella very quickly which obscures my vision and prevents me from identifying the man. He wears a long coat that almost reaches the floor and a hat, other than that not much stands out about this man. I almost return to scoping out the other people until I spot the man turn back and reach into the car and pulls out two  large duffle bags and then proceeds to make his way towards the entrance of the bank. 

I look down at my watch on my left wrist. It is 6:46 pm and the bank closes at seven o'clock and a man carrying such large bags may want to withdraw a large mount of money in cash which would take quite a long time when taking out a significant amount of cash. As the man makes his way into the entrance he turns around to close his umbrella and I get a glimpse at the face beneath the hat. Half of his face is covered in grotesque scarring and scorched flesh, his teeth almost completely visible as his lips and most of his cheek were burned away by acid. There is a partial eye lid that covers his discoloured eye and it twitches every once in a while. The hair is ghostly white on the left side oh his head, splayed out wildly and unkempt. The other half of his face is a reminder of the generous man that he used to be, a kind face with sleek brown hair- that was the face that won the hearts of Gotham's inhabitants as their District Attorney, Harvey Dent.

He removes his over coat and I see his signature suit, half red and half white. I immediately hook my grapple onto one of the gargoyles that adorns the roof of the bank and lower myself to the wet ground. Security is poor around this bank, an easy target for the likes of Two-Face. I had studied the blue prints for this bank and I know that these double doors lead to a small janitors room. A vent leads from the janitors room, up towards a crawlspace, this will give me an advantage view of the entire scene.

I use one of my own personalized 'batarangs' to break the chains which link together two double doors and I slip inside the shelter of the janitors room. Rather unskillfully I walk into a broom and a mop and curse under my breath as I push them aside, thank God that Batman was not here to see that. I use my grapple, again and secure it on the vent cover and pull it off as quietly as I can. I hoist myself into it and begin my way in the direction of the bank, I am spurred on by the sound of a gun shot and I fear that I am too late.