Chapter 11: The Langstroms (Part 2)

I rock back on my heels, internalizing this information'

"I've found something. A suicide note from Kirk. I also found a vial and syringe though It doesn't say what the drug is" I start to unfold open of the balls of paper, on it are what looks to be several attempts at the suicide note I had previously read. I opened a few other pieces of paper and found similar attempts of the note scrawled in the same neat handwriting. I quickly pull out my phone and take pictures of the papers.

"Get me a sample. That could be vital!" says Oracle whilst Tim asks "Suicide note? He's dead"

"I don't have anything to put a sample in" I look around the office once more.

"Down the hallway, about twenty meters away is a water fountain. Use one of the plastic cups to contain it and come back as soon as possible." I dart out of the office, moving swiftly and efficiently to the water fountain- the security camera points directly at me. As I run back I hear footsteps and quickly dive into the office before anyone can spot me. I extract a small amount of the liquid, small enough for its absence not to be noticed and lock the drawer shut. I check that everything is in order before looking back to the computer which was still not done.

"Hurry Bruce, there are two armed guards coming down the hallway, they'll be there any second" With haste, I pull the USB out of the drive and head for the door. Once out I lock the door and pretend to stumble drunkenly away before I come face to face with the two guards.

"This section is off limits to guests sir!" I pretend to trip over nothing, falling into one of the guards. "Gerroff me, gerroff me!" I slur, pushing them away.

"I was waiting for... Tina? Gina? Mina? Fuck if I know. She told me no one was down here and that I should meet her here... or was it in the bathroom... No I think that was someone else. I thought I should come and get started" I throw them a smile which was almost genuine once I catch a glimpse at their shocked expressions.

"Let us escort you back to the party sir." Said one of them whilst throwing a cautious look to the other one.

"Nah. I'm good." I tip the white plastic cup to my lips, making sure that the mystery liquid does not come into contact with my skin. "She's not worth my time" I sigh as I look down at my cup "I'm out, best go get a refill." I waste no time and stumble down the way that I came, as soon as I know that I am out of sight I start sprinting.

"Are you sure you shouldn't consider a job in acting, you're pretty stellar at it!" Tim says approvingly.

I ignore this and continue on my way.It does not take long before I hear the commotion of the party. "Where are you? It's time to leave"

"One step ahead. We're by the entrance." Tim says and I veer around towards the direction of the entrance. As soon as there are reporters in sight I resume the role of the drunken fool. I join Barbara and Tim by the entrance, carefully handing Barbara the white cup which she immediately brings up to her nose, sniffing the contents.