Chapter 1

Bruno Mars - Just The Way You Are

"This is the time to take new chances," I read out loud, shoving the cookie in my mouth. I don't think anyone could hear me over the deafening roar of chatter in the crowded chinese restaurant.                                     

 "What?!" Brittany yells. I sigh, repeating what I just said. "Ooh! Maybe that's a sign for you to ask a certain someone out, Autumn!" I sigh again; my life is currently a bunch of sighs. We've been talking about this for a long time. And I mean about 5 months. I break open another fortune cookie, tuning out from Brittany's ranting. 

When you slip, your mistake will take you to an old friend.

Huh. That's a really weird one. Suddenly, I hear glass falling and breaking. I turn around at the commotion. I see a man that fell and a woman that is helping him up. They look at each other and gasp at the same time. 

"Clara! I missed you so much," the man says, hugging the, now weeping, woman. I gasp as they explain that they are long lost siblings. I look down at the fortune from the strange cookie as it seems to twinkle. I shake my head. It must be a coincidence. But a small voice in my head says, "Is it really?"...

I stroll into the courtyard while looking for a certain someone. The feeling of arms encircling my waist startles me and I turn around.                                                                                                                                           

"Ry!" I yell angrily at the laughing boy, "You know what? That's it, I hate you." Ryder (I call him Ry) snickers at my comment,"Yeah right. Get over it Au." He's been calling me that since I moved to San Diego, here, which was when we were in 3rd grade. Now, we're in 9th grade. Yep. You heard me folks. 6 miserable long years with the idiot named Ryder Jameson. He isn't perfect, he's far from it. In fact, the only reason he's ever had a girlfriend before is because of his looks. 

Ry has dirty blonde hair that was literally made for the beach, since he was born in California. Besides that, he has green-blue eyes, and a crazy personality. I, however, have black hair that is actually a brown so dark and deep that it can't even be called brown anymore. I also have dark eyes that can be called either black or brown as well as pale skin. I look over Ryder's shoulder and see who I was looking for in the first place. Julius Reed. I shove Ry out of my path and yell a quick sorry behind me, knowing that he wouldn't be mad. I see Julius turning a corner and I sprint to catch up to him.                                                                                                                                                                                           

"Julius! Can you stop! Please! I need to-" My yells suddenly stop as I turn the corner and bump headfirst into someone's chest. I feel strong arms wrap around my waist to keep me from falling and I look up to see his black eyes staring down deep into mine. Julius has black eyes with a mischievous glint, black shaggy hair, and an athletic body made for doing sports (he plays basketball and football). I feel my cheeks heat up at the intimate position we're in with my hands on his firm chest and his arms on my waist. And it's even better that the halls are empty because everyone's either in the cafeteria or outside (sarcasm is awesome).     

 "Hey," he whispers, making the moment even more intimate than it already is,"What did you want to talk about?" 

"Uh," My mind can't concentrate on what I wanted to ask him with him being so close to me. So I gently push him away, my mind clearing.                   

"I was wondering if you want to be my partner for the chemistry project?"                                                           

"You mean the one Mrs. Bradford gave out this morning?"                                                                                          

"Yeah."                                                                                                                                                                                                  

"Sure. It's due in 2 weeks, so we better get to work on it soon. After all, it is 50% of our final grade."        

"Ok. When and where do you wanna meet?"                                                                                                                        

"How about Saturday at my house?"                                                                                                                                      

"That's fine. I don't have anything to do that day anyway."                                                                                          

"Great." 

Julius lowers his head to mine. "Can't wait to see you there," he whispers, giving me chills. I'm too afraid to move. The scent of him suddenly surges and I don't know whether I want to him to kiss me or not. At the last moment, a voice interrupts our 'moment'.                                                                                        

"Julius!" the voice screams. I gasp, surprised while Julius moves toward the sound of the voice.  

"Bye," he says softly as he walks away. I groan, slumping against the wall behind me. Why? Why him of all people? I sigh, walking to the cafeteria to start eating my lunch.

*Author's note: Yay! First chapter of my new book! I hope you guys like this. Thanks to Julius for letting me use your name in this new book of mine. Hope to be successful with this book! See ya!