Chapter 2

Broods - Four Walls

As I walk over to Ryder, who's sitting at our usual table in the corner, my mind replays the intense scene I had with Julius a few minutes ago. 

Can't wait to see you there. The words replay over and over in my head, making me a little breathless. I shake my head. I can't fall for him. I just can't!!! Julius Reed is the jock of the football team and the star of the basketball team. He flirts with hundreds of girls per month (I may be exaggerating) and doesn't care about people like me. People who actually have to work hard. He's the very last person I'd want to fall for. And yet, I find myself struggling to convince my heart that he's not what he seems. I know for a fact that almost every weekend he goes to a party and hooks up with some random girl. It all reminds me of Theo Alvarez. 

 While I feel like ranting more, Ry must see something on my face, since he runs over to me in less than a minute. His speed reminds me that he's on the track and cross country team, making me practically the only person in Grapevine High School that isn't in any school sports team. I just don't want to. The only sport I do is swimming and GHS doesn't have a swim team. My family can't afford me doing sports anyway. My real passion is something that everyone detests here. Why couldn't I go to Colleyville Heritage High School? GHS is known for their sports teams while CHHS is known for it's fine arts. That's my passion. To stand on a stage and sing, not caring what others think of me. 

"Au?" I'm brought back down to earth by a pair of fingers snapping in front of my face. "You ok?" Ry asks as I realize that I've been ignoring his questions for a while now. 

"Yea. I'm fine." I say, cringing as I hear the lie. Ry obviously can read me better than anyone and knows that I'm lying. However, he's nice enough not to ask about it. His actions remind me of... I gasp as I realize what just happened. My mind replays it, not believing that it happened again. Thankfully, Ry just went to throw away his trash so he can't question my actions. 

Your lies will not be questioned, even by the person who knows you most. The fortune cookie. It happened again! It can't be coincidence. This is the fifth time that's happened since the incident at the chinese restaurant with the long-lost siblings. I look down at the fortune cookie in my bag (I'm addicted to those things since my uncle owns a chinese restaurant) and quickly open the plastic covering it. I crush it, not caring whether I'll be able to eat it after this. 

 Someone you've known all your life will begin to be jealous." 

What is it with these weird fortunes? Since these odd fortunes appeared in my ever-lasting fortune cookies, they've been happening in real life. What the hell is going on? When Ry comes back, I can't help but blurt everything about Julius out to him and I watch his expression change from confusion, to shock, to jealousy and hatred before his neutral face covers every emotion. He has the best poker face. As the bell rings and I turn to ask him for advice, he runs as fast as possible toward his next class without even saying goodbye. My best friend is jealous of Julius Reed, never thought that I'd say that. I rub my temples as I head into French class, knowing that it happened again. I've discovered something. Something so confusing, so impossible, that I don't even know what to do next...

*Author's note: I know I didn't have to mention Autumn's ex, but I just did it anyway.  Anyway, I'm sorry that this chapter is kinda short, but I don't have many ideas.

So... BYE guys!