Chapter 10

Ryder opens the door quietly and creeps down the steps as I watch, my eyes wide. He turns the corner and I hear a yell, making me yelp. I hear more clashing and then, silence. 

"Ry?" I call out slowly, worry taking over me as I walk silently down the steps... Only to see Ryder getting caught in a choke hold by Julius. "Julius?! What are you doing?! Let him go!" He seems startled and pauses, hesitant, which allows Ryder to slip from his grasps and punch him again. What is it with guys and their egos?  I have to pull them apart before they stop fighting, the silence as piercing as their glares.

"What is it with you guys?!" I scold, allowing Julius' glare to shift to me. 

"Don't you get it? It's you! It's always been about you! Why can't you see that?!" He yells at me, making me flinch. I slip away from reality and into my memories, remembering Theo's exact words.

"Don't you get it? It's you! It's always been you and you know it!" I watch him slip off his belt and wind it around his fist. "And now, you're gonna pay for it." 

I slip back into the moment and I shiver, pursing my lips. I can still feel the sting of his belt drawing blood. Only now, I realize that Julius looks so much like Theo. 

"Dude, stop! You're hurting her feelings." I hear Ry panicking and I hesitate before sprinting towards the door. Ry could easily beat me to the front porch, but he wisely decides to leave me alone to keep my emotions under control. I hurry to my house, unlocking the door and running inside. I slam the door shut behind me and lock it, allowing me to take a breath and look around. Whoops. I forgot about Dad. My father stands in front of me and I'm forced to hold in my emotions for another minute. 

"Autumn Rachel Friska, where have you been?!" He yells at me, making me flinch again. I burst towards the stairs, my father trying desperately to catch me. However smart he is, he's never been very fast. I climb the stairs, two steps at a time before running into my room and locking the door behind me. I sit against the door and cry, letting my father hear my shame and sorrow. After a minute or two, I wipe my tears away and reach for the bowl of fortune cookies on my dresser. I miserably open the first one I find and munch on the cookie while I stare at the tiny strip of paper.

He's coming to kill you.