-two-

January 4, 1935

Pin tight curls and red lipstick were two noticeable features on Darlene today as she grabbed her small leather pouch from her dresser. Emmett was out hunting with his brothers today, and it being a day she didn't have work, she decided going to town would be best.

"Mother, I'll be back soon!" She exclaimed, slipping her brown coat over her body. The old door swung open, the cold wind outside hitting her like a freight train. Wrapping the coat tighter around her body, she walked along the dirt road she knew all too well to town.

The town was just like any other small town; it held train tracks running through the middle of it, a bar and a few diners scattered among the shops, and several clothing and furniture shops. It was quaint and was usually packed with mothers and their children on Saturdays, though on the weekdays it only held gossiping old women.

Darlene smiled at Missuses Tucker and Ms. Bell, two elderly women who sat in the same bench outside of Addie's Flower Shop every Monday and Wednesday, people watching and gossiping about Gatlinburg's newest resident, or Charlie Lincoln and the newest girl he supposedly cheated on his wife with, or something along the sorts.

The two ladies looked at her under their half crescent glasses, the ghost of smiles on their wrinkled faces. "Oh, hello, Darlene! How are you?" Missuses Tucker exclaimed, her dentures gleaming in the sunlight.

"Hi Missuses Tucker, Ms. Bell. I'm great, and you are?"

"Well, we're still alive." Ms. Bell joked, resulting in a laugh from Darlene.

"Well, I'll see you two soon, yeah? I've got to get some errands done." Darlene grinned, but was stopped short when Ms. Bell called for her once more.

"Oh! Be sure to tell your mother I say hello, Darlene! And I also say I would very much love to have some of her blackberry jam."

Darlene smiled and nodded, "I will be sure to. Goodbye!"

Darlene carried several brown paper bags in her hands, one filled to the brim of her mothers favorite fruit, one with sweets for her siblings and a chocolate bar that Emmett had expressed to be his favorite, and another with a woven sweater from Mrs. Smith which had been made specifically for her mother as a belated Christmas present.

A smile was on her lips as she neared closer to her home knowing fully well that Emmett would be back home from his monthly hunting trip. And though she wouldn't express it, she had always had feelings for Emmett - ranging back from the first time she ever met him.

She remembered the day quite clearly - it was a warm October day in 1930, she had barely just turned 13 the month before when a new family moved. They were a small, but lovely family of six, three of their children boys and one a daughter. Emmett was the middle child, though he showed an interest in getting to know Darlene, him being 16 at the time.

She did't have much experience with boys then, despite the snotty-nosed ones in her small class at school, so Emmett seemed to have an effect on her. He always made her blush then, either from embarrassment or the flirtatious remarks he sent her way. Though the two became fast friends, them seeming to have more in common than they thought.

They both had a sweet tooth, something that wasn't nice to have when poor, as candy didn't come as easily to them than the upper-class. They also had a knack for causing trouble, seemingly not caring for whatever consequences came their way.

And as the two grew closer over the years; becoming inseparable, as if they were joined at the hip, Darlene's feelings for Emmett's grew stronger. But, they were never confessed for the fear that they were unrequited. So, she sat in the background as she watched him drink and gamble away his youth whilst spending nights with women he would never have a relation with besides that one night.

Darlene sighed as she placed her paper bags by the door, a grin still on her face as she walked into the sitting room where voices were heard. Her mother and father were huddled closely to Emmett's family, depressed looks on their faces as his mother cried into his father's chest.

Darlene felt her grin slowly drop as she stopped in the doorway, "What's going on?"

All eyes in the room glanced at her, their faces seeming to drop even lower than before. "Oh, honey," Her mother cried as she rushed to her daughter, pulling her into a hug.

Knitting her eyebrows together, she slowly hugged her mother back, "Mother? What is it?"

"It's Emmett." Her father stated, a frown on his face as he looked at his daughter, Emmett's mother sobs growing louder at the sound of his name.

Darlene felt her heart rate pick up as she stepped away from her mother, "What about Emmett?"

Her mother's frail hand reached up and cupped her cheek, "Darling, Emmett, he's dead."

Darlene stepped back once more, pushing her mother's hand away from her face, tears filling to the brim in her eyes, the sting of the saltwater making her wipe her eyes.

"What do you mean? He can't be." She mumbled, shaking her head.

"He got too close to a cub, and before he knew it, he was mauled by an angry momma bear." His oldest brother, Charles, said solemnly.

Darlene shook her head more furiously this time, refusing to believe that he was actually gone. "N-No, you're lying! He can't - he can't be dead! He can't leave me!" She stuttered, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Darling," Her mother spoke once more, stepping closer and reaching out to grab her daughters hand, but Darlene quickly stepped back once more.

"No! Don't touch me!" She screamed, her hands shaking, "You're all lying!" She exclaimed once more before she fell to the ground in a heap, "He can't be. He can't be dead; he can't leave me." She cried to herself, her head pressed against her knees as tears soaked her Levi's.

omg i seriously started tearing up writing this.. guyyysss):