-ten-

November 1, 1936

Darlene had soon warmed up to the coven, and she was soon all smiles and laughs, unlike before. And Emmett was unable to keep his eyes off of her.

She was so magnetizing, exuberant, and she was way more than he remembered. And with each giggle that left her lips, he could feel his heart swell; and with each word she spoke, he hung onto every word, her voice being euphonious. And it was as if now it had really hit him how he had felt about the girl who stood next to him.

It wasn't like he didn't have feelings before, but now it was as if they were multiplied. Before, it was just feelings, but now it was like she was giving him the air he breathed. It was crazy to him, and he didn't know how to explain it, but all he did know was that he needed to tell Darlene.

He was soon overcome with flashbacks to when he first met the girl who now stood next to him, the memory still clear as day. 

October 12, 1930

Emmett had placed the last box of his family's belongings in their new home. Ever since the fall of the stock market, his family seemed to fall with it. They were a middle-class family in the 20's, though now, both parents had lost their jobs and they were soon kicked out of their two-story home, and scraped up enough money to live in a shackled down home in southern Gatlinburg. The then 16 year old let out a huff of air, dust flying around his face from the action. The home was something he would have to get used to - being the middle child of six, he knew he was to share a room with his three older brothers.

Though, he pushed that thought away as he looked out the small window in the room he stood in, his eyes landing on his parents talking to a couple around their age at the house next door. Yet, they weren't what caught his eye - what caught his eye was the small framed, doe-eyed, blonde girl standing next to, who he could only assume, were her parents. She didn't seem too much younger than him, maybe two or three, and she looked to be the epitome of innocence. 

Feeling a slight smirk on his face, he quickly rushed out of the home to the neighbors. His and her parents soon walked off the porch, the four of them seemingly lost in conversation. Once approaching the timid blonde, her face immediately reddened as the attractive teen stood in front of her.

Up close, to Emmett, she looked like some form of an angel. Her skin radiated in the sunlight, small freckles peppering across her cheeks and nose. Emmett smiled, not knowing that his first words to her will be the start of something bigger than he would ever imagine, "Hey, I'm Emmett - Emmett McCarty." 

And that was the start of it all - right from the moment she introduced herself back, Emmett had slowly fell head over heels for her, while Darlene found Emmett to be a blue serge who she fell for the moment she met him - even if he was embarrassing her all the time.

Yet now his love for her was more intense than he ever thought it would be. So he ultimately decided for himself that he was to tell her, one way or another. 

  ♛ 

Darlene was all smiles the walk back home with Emmett, their hands entwined while the brisk November wind whipped against her cheeks - but she didn't seem to notice. "I really enjoyed meeting them, Em." She smiled, her eyes glancing to his face as she spoke about his coven. "Did you?" He questioned, "I was a bit worried about them; they can be a bit much sometimes." He added on with a laugh. 

Darlene shook her head, "Not at all - if anything they were the cat's meow!" She giggled, Emmett's eyebrows raising, his eyes finally connecting with hers. Emmett rolled his eyes, "Oh, don't pull my leg, Darla." He mocked from earlier that evening. 

Darlene laughed once more, bumping her shoulder with his as they neared closer to her home. The two of them walked in a comfortable silence for a brief moment, Darlene just enjoying this time she had with Emmett - it felt like how it had been before he had 'died'. And, truthfully she didn't want to let this go. 

But it had to come to an end somehow, and she was guessing this moment was now, as the pair stopped their walking in front of her home. "Thanks for a great night, Em." Darlene smiled as she let go of his hand, opening her arms up for a hug. 

Yet, she stopped the motion when she saw the troubled look on Emmett's face. "Emmett, what's wrong?" 

Emmett sucked in a sharp breath -  'Now or never', he thought to himself, "Darlene.. I'm in love with you."

whoop there it is. i hope u guys enjoyed this also there are a few slang terms in this chapter used back in the 20's-30's so if u dont understand them pls just ask me about them. also!!! i'm thinking about making another fic so please give me ideas!!!