-twelve-

hi everyone im sorry for the lack of updates. ive literally been drowning in homework in tests. but if u all want to keep up with me go follow my finsta https://www.instagram.com/taiahtot/ n whenever u see me post u could be like 'hey bitch, go update'!! BUT anyways enjoy all.

November 3, 1936

Darlene sat in the back of a Wolseley, her eyes trained on the trees passing by through the tinted window of the vehicle. Jack Benny played as background noise on the radio as Rita and Charlie held hands up front, laughing every once in a while at the comedian on the station. "So, uh, Darlene, how are you?" 

"I'm good." Darlene said, her eyes leaving the window and looking at Charlie's in the rear view mirror. And it was true. Ever since Emmett had came back, her happiness had come back with him. Though it was all so confusing, with him being a vampire and everything, she couldn't deny that this was the happiest she's been in a while. 

Charlie smiled and nodded, murmuring a small 'good', and that was the last bit of conversation before the group had arrived to the party. 

The party was in the heart of Johnson City - quite a way's away from Gatlinburg. Darlene had only been here a few times, and each time she came, she fell in love with the city all over again. Grabbing the present that sat in her lap, she walked with Rita and Charlie into the large house where their friend, Annie's, party was held. Ethel Water's was playing loudly over a record player as people danced and laughed together, while others drank shots of whiskey or some other alcoholic drink at the bar. 

"Oh my gosh! I'm so glad you all could make it!" an ecstatic voice sounded, as a pair of arms wrapped around Darlene for a brief moment. Annie smelt of cigarettes and perfume.

Darlene held out the gift she had brought for her friend, "Happy birthday, Annie!" She yelled over the loud chatter and music, "Oh, thank you! Can I open it now?"

Darlene nodded, a grin on her face as she saw Annie rip open the paper and the box, a giggle leaving her mouth, "Oh my God, where did you find this?" She laughed as she held up the golden framed, black and white photo of 7 year old them. Silly grins adorned their faces, their hair unruly, and their clothes and faces covered in mud. The two held up frogs that they had been chasing that whole afternoon, leading them into the woods where they fell into a mud puddle, causing the two to make mud pies and splatter one another in mud. 

Darlene laughed along with her as she shrugged, "I was cleaning out some stuff and I fell across it. I thought it you would have liked it." Annie smiled as she placed the picture back in the box, her arms enveloping her in a hug. "I've missed you, Darlene. It feels like it's been ages since we've last seen each other." 

Darlene pulled away from the hug, "Well you're married now! You've got priorities!" 

Annie laughed, "Well not tonight I don't, so c'mon, lets go have some fun!" She giggled, grabbing Darlene's hand and pulling her to the dance floor.

    ♛ 

The cold wind threw Darlene's hair behind her face as she sat on the brick steps in front of the house, a drink in hand and her head in the other.  She spun the drink around in the glass, her eyes trained on the golden liquid sloshing around. The party was loud and crowded and she needed a minute to breathe, so she found herself outside. She could still hear the loud, drunken laughs of people coming from inside. She was growing tired of the people at the party, the drunker they got the more annoying they got as well. 

Her eyes still trained on her drink, her mind drifted off to Emmett. She wondered what he was doing right now, and if he was thinking of her as well. A smile graced her lips as she thought of the kiss the two shared only a few nights before, and she could only hope that the kiss would happen again soon. Her thoughts were cut short as a deep voice sounded through the darkness, "What's a pretty girl like you doing out here all alone?" 

Her eyes shot up to the figure that stood only a few yards in front of her, "Why does it matter to you?" She stated. She was shocked by her impoliteness - she knew if she hadn't had those few shots of whiskey earlier she wouldn't have said that.

The tall figure laughed darkly as he took a few steps closer, and Darlene stood quickly in response, her hand holding the glass tightly. There was something odd about this man, from a distance under the porch light, she could see the man's eyes were a deep crimson color. He was lean and pale, almost fluorescent - kind of like Emmett. 

This should have set off a red flag, but for some reason she couldn't move nor think about anything else except for this man; it was almost like she was in a trance. "What's your name?" He asked, a smirk on his lips as he beckoned her to come to him. She complied, her legs seeming to have a mind of their own as they approached the man, "D-Darlene." She muttered, her eyes struggling to not meet his. 

"Beautiful name for a beautiful girl." He smiled as he placed his fingers under her chin, lifting her face to meet his, before nudging her head to the side to expose her neck. "Such a shame." He murmured before placing his lips against the warm skin of Darlene's neck, his teeth ripping through the flesh, and a loud scream leaving Darlene's lips.