-sixteen-

November 13, 1936

Darlene felt as if her chest would collapse in on itself as anxiety seemed to fill her entire being. It had only been a full 19 hours since she had been turned - she counted - and her questions still seemed to be unanswered. And as more time ticked by, the more questions she seemed to develop. 

Living as a vampire still seemed nearly unfathomable - everything felt as if it was a dream. Life from her eyes seemed like a haze, her brain still not seeming to connect with the fact that she was actually a vampire.  And Darlene felt her heart lurch or her stomach twist with every nerve wracking thought - such as never being able to see her family again. That she knew. Emmett did it, and she knew the same rule would apply to her. 

Her thoughts lingered on her mother and father, how she'll never be able to hear her mom nag her to turn down her stereo or how she'll never hear her fathers boasting laugh reverberate around their home. Or be able to run to his side and talk to him like a father and daughter could in that day and age. 

She also thought of her younger siblings - all three of them - and how she would never be able to see them grow with them by her side. She could never be an aunt - or for a mother for that matter. 

Darlene always yearned to be a mother, just like most women living in the 30's. She always envisioned herself living in a big house with a dog (or two), a husband by her side (she never knew if it would be Emmett or not - but she hoped), with several kids. 

Though now, things were different. 

And she seemed to realize that more as Emmett sat across from her in the living room in the chair opposite of her. She was twisting her hands together as they sat in her lap, her crimson irises boring into his topaz ones. Next to him sat the rest of the clan, some of them peering curiously at the newborn. "Now, Darlene, I'm sure you have plenty of questions," Carlisle started, his voice bringing a sense of calmness to her. She nodded her head in agreement with the statement as he continued speaking, "And we're giving you this opportunity to answer every question you have."

She bit her lip. It was like now that she had the opportunity to ask anything she wanted, her brain couldn't find the words to say. And out of all the words scrambling around in her head, one question seemed to stick out in particular. 

"Does my family know?"

The Cullen's all seemed to give her a look that evidently showed that they didn't understand what she was asking. So, clearing her throat she added on to the question - and she was sure that if her heart was still beating, it would have nearly burst out of her chest at that moment. " Do they know that I'm... dead?" Her voice breaking on the last word spoken. 

Emmett stood up from his spot at this, striding over to sit next to Darlene to firmly wrap his arm around her shoulders. Carlisle's eyes dropped to the floor for a fraction of a second before meeting her eyes once more, "An animal attack. They were told by one of my colleagues that you were attacked by an animal at that party. You ventured off from the party and into the woods, where you were then attacked by a pack of wolves hunting."

The story in itself sounded outrageous to Darlene, but it wasn't anything unheard of. Hell, Emmett's death was caused by an actual animal attack. 

She felt overcome with frustration as a breath of air left her mouth, her emotions scattered between anger and sadness, "So, what now? I'm just expected to move on and forget about them? Forget about my own family or whatever dreams I had?" At this point she had removed Emmett's arm from her shoulders and stood from the couch, and was instead pacing in front of the group as she ran her fingers through her hair. 

Esme had stood from her spot as well, grasping Darlene's hand to bring her pacing to a halt. "We all had to, dear. It's hard, but we're here to help you. Just remember not all dreams have to be forgotten, and neither do the ones that you love. You'll always have them in your memories, and I think that's what really counts." 

Darlene frowned at the thought of only getting to see her family in her memories, but she knew it would be impossible for her to visit. She wouldn't be able to live with herself if her families safety was put to risk because of her selfish mistakes. So, as Esme pulled her into a hug, Darlene felt her unwavering anxiety come to a slight halt at the warm embrace of the woman she barely knew. 

Releasing from the hug, she twisted her hands together once more, "So, what about powers like Edward has? Do I have any of those?"

its 2:48am and i can barely keep my eyes open writing this but im doin it for u guys. i hope u all enjoyed!