Chapter Nine

Brook’s POV:

After I’d hitched a ride home with Larissa, I entered the house and sagged in relief when I realised no one else had made it home yet.

It was still early and my mum and Nate wouldn’t be home for another few hours yet, they worked late tonight.

I was a little surprised that Jack hadn’t beaten me back, but I was also a little thankful he hadn’t.

Suddenly tears fell from my eyes and I rushed up stairs, needing the comfort of my bed as guilt and wrongness welled up inside of me.

Closing my bedroom door blindly, I dropped my book bag to the floor and fell onto my bed.

My body was still tingling from his touch, the sensations so strong and stark I still felt my muscles clench at the memory. My knickers wet and my heart heavy.

I buried my face against my pillow and sobbed loudly. Knowing no one would hear me. My hands fisted in the bed sheets and my eyes squeezed shut.

What had we done?

I had let him touch me, not only that, but I had all but invited his touch, his kiss. I had wanted him, needed him and I had just crossed a line that could never be uncrossed again.

No one had ever touched me like that; I had never allowed anyone to touch me like that, so why had I let Jack?

Why had I pushed Rick back, only to want Jack?

I was attracted to him, damn it, I knew that, but it was wrong, it was immoral, it was sick and sinful and a thousand other things!

So why in the hell did it feel so good? Why did I love it more than I should have... why did it feel so fucking right, it if was so damn wrong!?

“Brook,” his voice, damn it, his voice. I jumped slightly when he touched my arm and he pulled back swiftly.

I turned my face away from him, not wanting him to see my tears as I held back the cries of sadness that wanted to rip from my throat.

“Brook, I’m sorry,” his voice was raw and I bit me lip hard, to stop the pain his words caused me, from filling the air.

“Go,” I force out, he doesn’t say anything and I feel the bed dip, I know he’s sitting down next to me.

“Brook... baby please, please look at me,” he begged gently and I can’t help myself, I look up at him and his face is pale, his eyes full of sorrow and pain and I want nothing more than to reach out and hold him to me.

I want to take away the pain I know is burning into him because of what happened, because of me.

“Jack...” my voice is strangled, hoarse and he looks down, dropping my gaze and I feel more tears leak from my eyes.

“I’m sorry, Brook. I never should have touched you... damn it, I don’t know what’s wrong with me,” he said now, anger and frustration lacing his words as he stood up and shoved his hand roughly through his hair.

“I’m sick. I know it’s wrong, I know it’s not right, but I can’t seem to help myself...” he sat back down, head in his hands as he tries to figure out the answer to the very same question I have spinning in my own head.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered now, looking at me with tears glazing his eyes and my heart aches for him, “I swear to you, I will stay away from you. I won’t touch you again. I won’t kiss you again. I’ll leave you alone... but please... god please, Brook, forgive me... forgive me, please?”

“Jack,” I cry as I hug him tightly and he buries his face against my neck. My body shaking as the pain rolled over me and the tears continued to fall down my face.