Chapter Eleven

Brook’s POV:

It turned out that camping was fun.

            When we’re reached the camp, we’d found a load of tents all in a large circle. Two man tents, girls to the left, and boys to the right. Of course, Larissa and I had decided to share.

As the day turned to night, they set up a camp fire around logs, which we used as a bench and we ended up roasting marshmallows on a stick – thankful not a stick off the ground- and told ghost stories. It was really childish, but really fun at the same time.

As the ‘party’ continued, I found my gaze was drawn more and more to Jack and Katie, where they sat, away from us, but still in our direct line of sight.

In the end, I made up a lame excuse and slipped away, just needed to walk and be alone for a while, to clear my head and get a grip on my own, stray emotions.

I found a calm stream and I sat on a rock for a while, torch in hand as I watched the water run its rapid course, the sound calming and the sight one of such tranquil beauty.

Knowing the others would freak out if they realised I wasn’t in my tent, I began heading back towards camp. I knew the way, because I hadn’t wanders too far, knowing that will my luck, I’d get lost and no one would even realise until it was too late.

“God, yes, kiss me there!” my eyes shout up from the ground as the moan filled the space around me.

My legs seemed to lock and my breath rushed out of me as if someone had punched me full force in the chest.

Jack bent his head and sucked the skin of Katie’s neck like a starved wolf. Her hands fisted in his hair as she arched herself against him and moaned, riding his thigh as she did so.

I took this in within seconds and I felt sick.

“Shit,” Jack’s eyes met mine and suddenly regret was shining in them.

“Ah, you’re little sister find you,” Katie teased, “it doesn’t matter, baby, she was just leaving,” Katie said dismissively.

Tears burnt in my eyes but I wouldn’t cry, not in front of them, I wouldn’t let her see me like this. Yet I couldn’t seem to pull my gaze from his.

His eyes pleading with me to forgive him, my breath hitched and he pulled away from Katie, taking a step towards me.

“Brook,” he said now, but I couldn’t do this, couldn’t stay and listen to whatever lies he wanted to spurt, couldn’t listen to him right then because I was so fucking close to tears and the pain in my chest hurt so much. It felt as if someone was putting more and more pressure on me and it was getting harder and harder to breathe.

Without a word, I turned and took off, the tears spilt and I let them, knowing no one would see.

“Brooklyn!” Jack called after me, but I was already gone. Vanishing into the darkness as I dropped my torch and forced myself to run harder, faster, I just needed to get away; far, far away.

I ended up back at the stream I had found earlier. I don’t know how I got back there and I didn’t care.

Stumbling, I reached out and caught myself on a tree. Breathing heavy, I closed my eyes and forced myself to calm down.

“Brook,” his hand touches my arm and I jump, startled at his sudden presence.

He’s holding my torch in one hand as he steps closer to me, touching my chin gently as he looks at me face. I know he can see the tears, but I don’t care.