Chapter Nineteen

Brook’s POV:

The drive to college went faster than usual, both my mum and Nate had been up and out extra early this morning and it had given Jack and I the run of the house.

It had been a fun morning. We hadn’t had to hide anything like we usually did; I didn’t have to creep out of his bed this morning either. We’d eaten breakfast together while holding hands, which had turned out to be seriously funny, have you ever tried eating pancakes with one hand? It’s hard!

Now, as Jack pulled the car into an empty space, his hand resting on my thigh, I looked out the window, hoping to spot Larissa and my eyes fell on Rick instead.

Damn it to hell, how could I have been so stupid?

 I’d forgotten the whole phone call yesterday and now, I swallowed hard, my smile slipping from my lips for the first time that morning.

“Brook, baby, you ok?” Jack asked gently and I looked up at him quickly.

“I... I’m fine,” I muttered gently. No one knew Jack and I were sort of dating, least of all Rick, so Jack wasn’t in any danger and even if he was, I knew he would beat Rick’s ass into the ground.

“Brook...” Jack said now, his eyes searching and his forehead creased as he frowned.

“I’ll see you in class,” I breathed, as I jumped out the car and hurried towards the main building.

When Rick caught sight of me, he changed his direction and began moving swiftly towards me.

Panic suddenly welled up and I instantly regretted my decision of not telling Jack.

I turned around, looking frantically for any sign of him, but I couldn’t see him.

I moved back towards the car, hoping he’d still be there, but I barely put one foot in front of the other, before a strong, beefy hand, gripped my upper arm tightly, painfully so and yanked me backwards and off balance.

“Now, babes, where do you think you’re going?” Rick asked harshly, his voice laced with anger as he wrapped his arm around me and held me back against his chest.

“Get off me,” I snapped angrily, but he just tightened his hold.

“Did you do what I told you to do?” he asked now, his breath reeking of alcohol as he effortlessly kept a hold of me as I fought against him.

“Let go of me, Rick. You’re drunk and this isn’t the place to be discussing this,” I snapped now, hoping one of the many students walking past us would stop and help, but they didn’t, they either gave us a wide birth or just looked past us as if we were invisible, as if we weren’t important. As if this was normal!

“You’re right, let’s go to my car and we can take a drive,” he said now and I panic.

He’s drunk and he wants to drive? God only knows what else he’d do if I was alone in his car with him.

“Rick, please let me go and we can talk. You’re hurting me,” I whisper now, tears forming in my eyes out of fear and pain.

“Shit, I’m sorry, babe, I didn’t mean to hurt you, look what you made me do,” he said now as he let me go and I staggered away from him.

“It’s fine, Rick... I-I’m going to class,” I whispered shakily, just wanting to get away from him and find Jack.

“No!” Jumping forward, he grabs my arm and I cry out in pain as he stops me from leaving, “Don’t you walk away from me,” he growls angrily as he grips my face in his hand, his fingers digging into my jaw painfully and I feel the tears fall down my face.