~11~

Chapter 11

Maya walked with Riley, like usual, to school. They had made up, but Maya can feel the tension, unlike Riley. Riley was only happy her and her best friend were ok now.

"Maya are you listening?" Riley snapped her best friend out of her thoughts.

"Huh? Oh yeah," she nodded as Charlie came over. "Charlie Gardner!" Maya greeted with her weird voice, getting weird looks from him and Farkle and Riley looking at her in shock and embarrassment.

"Yeah..." Charlie trailed off and Lucas came over, making Maya's day ten times better already.

"Hey guys, creepy creep creep." he glared at Charlie, but Charlie shrugged it off.

"So Riley, want to go out on Saturday?" he smiled and Riley raised her hand.

"Yes!" she cheered.

"Hand." Maya told her and Riley put her hand down.

"I mean yes, that would be amazing." she smiled.

"Hey you've improved!" Maya praised and Riley nodded.

"Hey why not make it a double date? Smackle and I are going out." Farkle suggested and Charlie and Riley agreed.

"Wait, Maya." Riley sighed and Maya smiled and rolled her eyes.

"Go on without me." Maya shooed her off.

"No Maya, I'm not leaving you and Lucas out." she told her and Maya rolled her eyes.

She was not going to be a third wheel.

Or fifth wheel.

Whatever it was, she did not want to be the odd one out.

"Maya come with us, Lucas stay away." Charlie said and Lucas rolled his eyes.

"I'm not going, go on without us." Maya told her.

"Please Maya!" Rily begged then whispered in Maya's ear, "I need you there."

"I don't want to be a fifth wheel and I have no date." Maya informed her.

Right when Maya said that, Lucas felt his hope rise up.

He could be Maya's date.

He could take her and neither would be a fifth wheel.

He just had to be casual about it.

"Maya I'll take you." Lucas shrugged and everyone looked at him.

Maya felt her hope rise up, but she forced it to not.

Hope is for suckers.

"You don't have to huckleberry." she tried to come off casual.

"Come on, it'll be fun." Lucas nudged her shoulder and Maya finally gave in.

"Fine, I guess." she rolled her eyes, though in her mind she was doing backflips.

Her and Lucas?

She liked it.

"Great!" Farkle smiled.

"Yeah, splendid." Charlie mumbled, not wanting Lucas there.

"Ok, let's all meet at Topanga's after school to discuss more." RIley smiled.

"Great! I'll bring Smackle." Farkle agreed and they all went to first period excited, except Maya.

She did not want her and Lucas' friendship screwed up.

That's the last thing she wants.

Maybe she made a mistake.

Maybe she should just stay home.

Away from dating.

Away from Lucas and her friends.

Besides, hope is for suckers.