Chapter One - New Mission

Bruce's POV~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

        I hurried through the hallways at the SHIELD base in New York. I was late for a meeting of the Avenger that Director Fury had called. Granted, he said that we were supposed to have the next few weeks off because of the Chitari battle four days ago. The truth was, I was late because I had been to wrapped up in my work at the lab in Tony's tower. I had a bad tendency to get into a zone where I blocked everything out. It was known by psychologists as 'the rabbit hole' where you would be so wrapped up in your own thoughts that you blocked out everything else. even your need for food, drink, and sleep. I hadn't reached that zone quite yet, but I did have a known pattern of working through the night and sometimes forgetting to eat.

        I rushed into the meeting room, and after sitting down, I realized that everyone was there. except Fury, of course. But even Tony was here, and by the way he was playing candy crush on his phone, he had been here for a while. That was an oddity in itself. Tony was always late. He smirks at me when I sit down.

        "Why were you late, Brucey? Out with a hot date?" He says sarcastically. I roll my eyes, already growing used to his teasing.

        "I got caught up in the lab. Wasn't paying attention to the time." I settled into my seat. "So, do any of you know what this is about?" I ask. Everyone shakes their heads no, and I sigh. we sit at the table for a few minuets, everyone doing their own thing to keep busy while we wait for Fury.

        "You're all here. Good." Fury says, striding into the room.

        "Been waiting." Tony says, kicking his feet up on the table and tipping his chair back. "So why are we here?" Fury doesn't respond, just pulls up a video on the wall screen in front of us. It's a video from the Chitari battle, of Natasha and Steve fighting next to some broken cabs.

        "This is why." He says. "This was taken by a SHIELD drone that had fallen. See anything.... different?" We all watch them fight, and I see nothing out of the ordinary.

        "You mean besides the fact that they're fighting aliens? Nope." Tony says. Fury sighed, and focused the video, zooming in on the left side of the screen, where some aliens were in the background. I frowned and leaned forward in my seat. What were they doing? It was almost as if-

        "Are they fighting?"Clint asks. Fury nods. "Okay then, new question. What are they fighting?"

        "That is the question, isn't it?" Fury says. "But we have discovered that it is not a what, but a who." He presses a button, and the video switches to a thermal image. A human sized red bloch shows up on the screen, displaying the fact that whoever it was was fighting the Chitari. It was obvious that they were confused and falling quickly because of the fact that they couldn't see the person taking them out. "We were going over the tapes from the battle when we stumbled upon this. We don't know who it is, or why we can't see them."

        "So you're telling us, that somewhere in New York, there is a person that can become invisible?" Steve asks skeptically.

        "That is exactly what I'm saying Captain." Fury says. "And I'm making it all of your jobs to find them."

        "How are we supposed to track someone we can't see?" Tony asks.

        "That's for you to figure out." Fury says, sending the images from the screen to our tablets. "Find them, and bring them here so that we can figure out how much of a threat they are." He heads out of the room. "Get to work."

        "Because who needs a vacation." I hear Natasha mutter under her breath. I send her a soft smile, already nervous. I really hoped the other guy wasn't going to make an appearance on this mission.