Chapter Seven - Speak Up

"I met Lillian and Emma when I first moved into the building, and it was a complete accident." I say, explaining. I had just finished unpacking, and I hear this crash outside my window. And of course, being the curious person I am, I go check it out." I talk with my hands a lot, I wonder if people notice? "And out on the fire escape on the building next to me, I see this little girl, holding a even smaller girl, and a clearly drunk woman inside the apartment. I went out on my fire escape, and I help these girls over into my apartment, clean them up, and let them rest for a bit."

        I look up and see everyone watching me intently. Was I really that interesting? I look at Bruce, his brown eyes meeting mine before he hurriedly looks down. "Ever since then, the doorman of their building has kept me informed of when their mother comes home drunk, and I let them stay at my place or we come to Tony's. We come over to Tony's only when it's really bad." I say, looking at the coffee table in front of me. "But its all worth it if we keep them away from the abuse, right?" I look up to see a few sad faces, a few shocked faces, and one look that captures my attention.

        Bruce has on a look of.... understanding. As if he's been through it. I hesitate in my mind. I never normally do this but.... I carefully reach out, scraping along what he's thinking. I'm shocked to see a memory from his childhood, one of a raging drunken father. I quickly draw out of his head, but not before a sharp, shocked gasp escapes me. "You've...." His head snaps up, and his eyes stare into mine. I know that he's realized what I know, and the look on his face is begging me not to say anything. I notice everyone's turned towards me, waiting for me to finish what I was going to say.

        "You've...um.. not met the girls properly." I quickly cover. "Tony sent them so quickly to get the candy that they didn't even say hi." I get up off the couch and head for the kitchen, where I know the girls will be getting into the secret compartment inside a cabinet. I pause before going through the door. "Oh, and don't be surprised if Emma doesn't talk to you. It takes a lot to get her trust." I stick my head in the kitchen. "Hey! Hooligans!" Two heads pop up from behind the island. "Come introduce yourselves properly."

        They both walk around the counter, and I wonder if I should tell Lil that she has a smear of chocolate on her cheek. Nah. They walk in the living room. "Okay, Lil, Em, this is Steve Rodgers," I point to each of them as I say their names. "Natasha Romanoff, Clint Barton,and Bruce Banner. Think you can remember that?" Em nods, and Lil rolls her eyes, though I can tell she's practically shaking with excitement.

        "I'm Lillian." She says with a half-wave. "But everyone calls me Lil.... obviously." She adds the last part under her breath,a and I laugh. She glares at me. "This is Emma, but we all call her Em."

        "Obviously." I say under my breath, earning a glare from Lil. For a Fifteen year old, she could be sassy.

        "Hey Lil?" Tony says from beside me. She turns towards him curiously, and he motions to his cheek. She frowns and rubs her thumb against hers, eyes widening when it came back covered in chocolate.

        "Rose!" She whines. "Why didn't you tell me?!" I laugh.

        "Those who eat the candy deserve the consequences." I say, and she glares at me, rubbing at her cheek furiously to get all the chocolate off.

        "Not funny." She says. "Is it all gone?" She asks in an exasperated voice. I nod, smiling, and she scowls again. "Not funny." She repeats. I'm about to respond, when I hear a strong, beautiful, amazing laugh go through the air. I turn, and see Bruce on one knee, Em standing next to him.

        "That's what you want to know? Out of everything you might have asked me?" He says to he, and she giggles and nods. I feel my mouth drop open, my eyes wide with shock. Did Em just talk to him? What? It took a full two years before she talked to Tony, and here she was, talking to Bruce after a few hours.