Chapter Thirty One - Date Night

I hear a groan and look over at the bed. Bruce was starting to stir, and thank goodness. I was afraid that I had accidentally knocked him out for the night. Plus, we still had our date tonight, and didn't really want him to miss that. I set my book down as he rolls over. "Hiya sleeping beauty. It's about time you woke up." Bruce groans again and fully opens his eyes.

"Songbird?" He murmurs groggily before his eyes slip closed again. I frown slightly. The Hulk had called me that. Why did Bruce? I lean over, shaking his shoulder.

"Bruce..." I call softly in a sing-song voice. He slowly opens his eyes again and blinks when he sees me.

"Rose?" He asks curiously. He slowly sits up, and I hand him his glasses. He takes them gratefully. "What are you doing in my...." He trails off, and I see the memories of what happened that afternoon hitting him. "Oh my gosh."

"Bruce-"

"Did I hurt anyone? Oh my gosh. Did I kill anyone? Is Em alright?" He flounders and panics, looking utterly terrified that he might have hurt someone. "Did I... did I kill anyone?"

"Nope." I say, popping the 'p'.

"I turned into the Hulk while the girls were in the tower. I could have killed them. I could have hurt you." He continues as if he hadn't heard me.

"Bruce!" I say loudly, getting his attention. "You didn't hurt anyone. Do you remember nothing?"

"I.... no. Not as much as I normally do. It's... It's a blur." He says quietly.

"Well," I sigh. "Tony did ask me to tell you to ask the Hulk to stop throwing people out of windows because they are expensive to replace." I say with a laugh. "And I am very glad you woke up. I was afraid I accidentally put you out for the night."

"You knocked me out?" He asks, confused. I grimace. Crap.

"I.. uh..." I flounder. "I kind of got into your head. sent calming waves and tried to keep your emotions from being all over the place." I look down at the floor, ashamed. "I'm sorry. I knew you didn't want anyone to get hurt, so I did what I knew I could." It's quiet for a moment.

"Thank you." He says. I look up, slightly surprised. "I'm glad you did it. Everything that happened with the Hulk should come back to me, but I'm not sure."

"I'm sorry." I whispered again, this time for myself more than for him.

"Don't be." He says. He puts his hand on mine. "You did the right thing. People might have gotten hurt. Thank you." I felt heat rush to my cheeks and I knew I was blushing.

"Well." I say, clearing my throat and standing up. "I am glad that you woke up in time. We do have a date tonight, and we only have an hour until we agreed to meet. So you better get ready." He looks at me with an expression that I can't quiet read.

"You.... you still want to date me?" He asks, and he sounds slightly shocked. "After you've seen me like that?"

"Well, duh." I say with a slight scoff. "You aren't the Hulk, and he isn't you. You are two separate people, and both of you are pretty awesome. You with your brains, him with his ability to smash things into oblivion." I say. I head for the door. "So chop chop. We have a date."

I shut the door, slightly laughing at his expression.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Are you sure this looks alright?" I ask, looking at my self in the mirror. Tonight's dress code went from trying to look cute, to picking something that covered up the bandages that we're keeping my ribs together. Lil hums, thinking.