Chapter Nine - Need A Hero

He. Did. Not.

No, I wasn't going to do it. No freaking way. What on earth was Tony thinking? Why does he get these stupid ideas in his head? Maybe I could just punch them out of him. Yeah. That seems good.

"Rose, you coming up?" Tony asks, looking straight at me from the stage. "Could we get a light over here?" He asks, and suddenly, there's a spotlight on me. Great. Just what I wanted. I lean over to Bruce.

"Make sure I don't kill him after this." I whisper.

"No promises." He says, trying not to laugh considering he was practically in the spotlight with me. I take a deep breath before walking towards the stage, keeping a fake smile on my face. I climb up the stairs, and when I reach Tony on the stage, he smiles.

"Rose everyone!" He says, and polite applause goes through the crowd. He hands me the microphone, and I hold it slightly away so it doesn't pick up conversation.

"You are so dead." I say quietly through clenched teeth, keeping the smile plastered on my face.

"And this is so worth it." He laughs, leaving the stage. I take a deep breath, before turning and facing the crowd.

"Uh.. Hi everyone..." I get out, giving a little half wave. "I'm kind of nervous, if you couldn't tell, but Tony gave me no warning whatsoever about this. Pepper, do me a favor and hit him." Pepper complies, hitting him in the back of the head and making chuckles go through the room. "So I guess now I should probably sing something." I say. "If you don't like it, blame Tony."

I walk over to the DJ, and we quickly discuss songs, and I pick the track of a song I love, one of my favorites. "Okay then..." I trail off into the microphone. "Here we go." The intro starts, and I get ready.

'Where have all the good men gone and'
'Where are all the gods?'
'Where's the street wise hercules'
'To fight the rising odds?'
'Isn't there a white knight'
'upon a fiery steed'
'late at night'
'I toss and I turn'
'and I dream of what I need'

'I need a hero'
'I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night'
'He's gotta be strong'
'and he's gotta be fast'
'and he's gotta be fresh from the fight'

'I need a hero'
'I'm holding out for a hero 'til the morning light'
'He's gotta be sure'
'and it's gotta be soon'
'and he's gotta be larger than life'
'larger than life'

Couples are on the dance floor, including Tony and Pepper, and Clint and Nat. My eye's catch Bruce's and he is smiling, so I start singing the next part.

'Somewhere after midnight'
'In my wildest fantasy'
'Somewhere just beyond my reach'
'there's someone reaching back for me'
'Racing on the thunder'
'and rising with the heat'
'It's gonna take a superman to sweep me off my feet'

'I need a hero'
'I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night'
'He's gotta be strong'
'and he's gotta be fast'
'and he's gotta be fresh from the fight'

'I need a hero'
'I'm holding out for a hero 'til the morning light'
'He's gotta be sure'
'and it's gotta be soon'
'and he's gotta be larger than life'

'I need a hero'
'I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night'

'Up where the mountains meet the heavens above'
'Out where the lightning splits the sea'
'I could swear there is someone somewhere watching me'

'Through the wind and the chill and the rain'
'and the storm and the flood'
'I can feel his approach like fire in my blood'