Chapter Twenty Nine - My Girls

"The girls are coming over tonight." Tony says after he hangs up his phone. I freeze. This was what I had been worrying about. I don't know how they would react in any way.

      "T-Tonight?" Bruce and Tony look up from their work on the lab table.

       "Yes?" Tony says curiously.

       "Why? What's wrong?" Bruce asks. He was looking at me pleadingly, knowing very well we had our date tonight, even though that wasn't what I was going to mention, he thought I was.

       "I.... I'm just afraid that they'll hate me." I say quietly. "For leaving. For not telling them the truth about me. What if.... What if they're afraid of me?" I look down at my lap, my hands twisting the hem of my shirt nervously. A hand grabs mine, stopping the nervous fluttering, and I look up to see Bruce giving me a soft smile.

       "Are you kidding me?" We both look up, startled, to see Tony distracted by something on a monitor. "The girls are going to hate me for not telling them that you were back as soon as we pulled into the airport." Bruce lets go of my hand a split second before Tony turns back to us. "They'll probably just want to talk to you. Definitely ask questions."

        "When do you think they'll be here?"

        "Right after school, just like normal. After you left, Brucey here got into the habit of picking them up after school." I look at Bruce with a raised eyebrow, smiling.

        "Thanks." I say quietly. I glance down at my phone. "Actually, if we're picking them up, we better get going." I hop off the stool.

        "We?"

        "Well, might as well make me a good surprise. Plus,... I really want to see my girls." I say with a smile.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

        Bruce and I were outside the school, sitting on the bench, waiting for the final bell to ring. My knee was bouncing with nerves. I still wasn't quite sure how the girls would react when they saw me. I just... I really hoped they didn't hate me. That would kill me inside.

        "It's going to be okay." Bruce says in a calming voice.

        "But what if it's not?" I ask.

        "It will be." He smiles at me, and I can't help but smile back.

        "Aren't you the one we normally need to calm down?" I ask with a small laugh, poking him in the side. He just smiles and shakes his head. The sound of a bell pierces the air, and I look towards the school nervously. Kids started to pour out of the doors, and I searched the sea of heads, looking for the two familiar ones. Soon enough, I saw a familiar blond blob heading through the crowd towards the sidewalk. I couldn't see Em, but I knew that Lil would have a tight hold on her so she wasn't swept up in the crowd.

       And suddenly, I could see them through the crowd. I'll was looking down at Em, but still watching her surroundings as they talked. Lil glanced up and smiled when she saw Bruce and I, before looking back down at Em.
She suddenly freezes, and I watch as her head snaps back up in surprise. The people behind her shoot glares as they walk around her frozen form, but she just stares. Em looks up at her worriedly before following her gaze and seeing me.

        It's only a second before Em's face splits into a smile, and she lets go of Lil's hand, sprinting towards me. "ROSE!" She screams excitedly. I crouch down, and she jumps into my arms. I hug her tightly, pressing my face into her shoulder. Oh thank heaven she didn't hate me. A few tears escape, and Em pulls back so she can look me full on. "You're home! Mr. Bruce said you'd be back soon!" She says happily. Her face turns to a look of concern. "Why are you crying Rose?"