Run Away.

I sat on my bed, staring out at the setting sun. This was the only time I really got to myself; Jacob was with his father having dinner, while mum, dad, Rosalie, Emmett, Alice, Jasper, Grandpa and Grandma were all out hunting. I only managed to get them all to go out a few months ago, before they would never leave me on my own. I can understand it, since Alice can’t see what’s going to happen in my future they worry. For a while dad stayed within the distance he could hear my thoughts from, mum soon stopped him from doing that though.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my family, I really do. It’s nice to have some alone time though. They’re always fussing over me, partly because Alice can’t see my future, partly because I’m so rare; half human half vampire. I’m not the only one, Nahuel is like me too. He pretty much saved me when I was a kid, just by existing. I can still remember everything that happened like it was yesterday. That was years ago though, no point dwelling on the past. He comes by a lot; he has a thing for me and my mum. Me, because I’m the only other half human half vampire girl who isn’t his sister, and my mum, because his mum died giving birth to him, he doesn’t understand how mum lived. Jacob doesn’t really like him, I don’t understand why. He always gets really possessive when Nahuel came to visit. It’s weird. Sometimes I look at him, and he’s just staring at me, like he’s waiting for something. Just like the other day...

*FLASHBACK*

I was sitting on in my beanbag chair, Aunty Rosalie and Uncle Emmett gave it to me for Christmas last year. I was happily reading my book, when Jacob walked in with my mum.

‘Bella, my love, welcome home’ said my dad getting up from his game of chess with Aunty Alice to give my mum a hug. They rarely kiss; I think there’s some inside joke about it everyone always laughs about it. Anyway, mum and Jacob had been away for a couple of days, they had some business to do.

‘Edward, I missed you.’ Replied my mum, hugging him back.

Jacob had come straight towards me with a huge grin on his face, ‘Nessie.’ I got up and gave him a hug; we’ve been friends since I was a baby. ‘You haven’t changed much, still the same Nessie I left behind’

‘How was your trip?’ I asked.

‘Dull. It would’ve been a lot more fun if you came with us.’ His smile broadened.

‘Jacob, control yourself.’ Groaned my father as he and mum walked past towards the kitchen. My dad can hear people’s thoughts, well everyone except my mums. We’re quite a talented family. Dad can hear thoughts, mum can protect herself and others from mental attacks, Aunty Alice can see the future, and Uncle Jasper can feel and control emotions. I can make people see things by touching them.

I sat back down on my beanbag chair, and Jacob got comfy on the floor beside me. He asked me all about my time whilst he hadn’t been here. I told him about the bores of school, and the ride Seth had given me through the forest. I told him about my training, and how I fought with Paul. He stiffened at that. Paul is one of the most... temperamental werewolves. Well, they’re not werewolves, they’re shape shifters.

‘Oh, and Nahuel came round for a couple days.’

‘He did? What did he want?’ asked Jacob, he was getting weird again.

‘Just wanted to hang out, see how I was. He hasn’t been round for a while; we had a lot to catch up on.’

‘Really? Like what?’

Before I could answer an old mixing bowl turned dog bowl was hurled at the back of Jacobs head. I recognised it at once. Before I was born Aunty Rosalie had made it for Jacob, a pun on the werewolf thing, I think.

‘Ow! What the hell was that for?’ Jacob yelped, rubbing the back of his head.

‘Jacob, I can hear what your thinking, you idiot. Try to control your thoughts.’ Replied my dad. Jeez, he looked peeved, and slightly disturbed. ‘That is not something I want running through my head.’

‘You know, Edward, you could always try not listening into my thoughts.’

‘It’s quite difficult when you’re basically shouting mongrel.’ Retorted my dad. Uh-oh.

‘What did you call me? I thought we got over name calling years ago, bloodsucker.’ Jacob had got up now, both mum and me immediately jumped into action. Mum took dad, I took Jacob. We managed to calm them down, but somehow I still knew something was going to happen between them.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

My thoughts were interrupted by a strangely familiar smell. A scent that I knew and feared. The last time I smelt that scent it was the day I was almost condemned to death. He and his sister were used against my family and friends; well at least they were supposed to be. They didn’t know about mum’s power. But what was he doing here? How was I going to fight him off if he came to the house? I did the only thing I could think of, I screamed for my father, praying that he was within the distance to hear my mental screams.

‘Dad!! Please dad come back!! He’s here!! It’s Alec!!’