Chapter 13

My heart stopped. Everything in the world froze. I was speechless and couldn’t move. I didn’t want to believe my mom, but I knew that I should. There in South Padre Island, 22 hours away, 1,217 miles away, the love of my life was dead to the outside world.

                “Mom,” I finally croaked out, “I have to go.”

                Suddenly, I was in a frenzy. I spun the microphone away and tossed my guitar into its case at my feet. I hopped off of the wooden stool under me. I stumbled towards the studio door and to the waiting room where my mom was.

                She grabbed me and pulled me into her arms. “Sam, I can’t afford for you to fly back down there. I just got home from Rome and that put us so far back.”

                “I’ll pay, I have so money saved up from I can’t remember what but I’ll do whatever it takes,” I told her, pulling back and picking up my jacket and case from the coach beside me.

                She grabbed my face in her hands and placed a kiss on my cheek. I looked at her and saw myself; I know that she would be doing the same thing. “Be careful, Sammy,” she instructed me.

                “You know I will,” I replied before walking towards the door and towards Texas.

*************************************************************************************

Eight Hours later

                I pulled into Padre Grace Hospital and found an empty parking spot. I took a minute to breathe and fix the insane curls that had fallen apart on the flight to Texas. I opened the door of the car I had rented from the airport and stepped onto the asphalt. My tennis shoes echoed around the emptiness of the parking garage as I walked to the entrance.

                Questions flooded my mind and I had a sudden nervousness as I neared the doors. Suddenly, I was there and the glass parted, allowing me to enter the place I was most afraid of going. The aroma of disinfectant and metal wafted in the air.