Prologue

Only the prologue is in 3rd person's PoV. The chapters will be in the Main Character's PoV.

♠︎ ♠︎ ♠︎

Prologue:

"What do you mean, 'he saw us'?" She snapped, her tone so biting and cold that it gave the man on the other end chills.

"T-That man s-saw us shifting, Alpha. He's demanding a ransom to keep our secret safe." The man blubbered, and She could almost visualize him fidgeting and nervously prancing around the hotel room he and his family were most likely staying in.

"Fúck," She cursed, the word slipping out of her mouth so easily.

Some Elders might chide her for being so crude and open, but she liked to pay them no heed. She was loud and opinionated, and she wasn't afraid to voice her thoughts. Being grown by her parents to become a Leader, had shaped her to be a good Alpha, and she wasn't going to change herself because some old bag thought she should.

"We're sorry, Alpha." The man pleaded, and she couldn't help but feel sorry for him. She knew it was a big mistake on their part, but no matter what, being the minority species in the world had forced them to be very cautious and careful.

But a person can only look over his shoulder for so long, before he lets his guard down. She understood that her Pack members were feeling the same way, and they had just wanted to be free for once in their lives, on their vacation to the Dominica Island. They hadn't done it intentionally and she was compassionate enough to get that.

She sighed.

"Okay, Derrick. I'll deal with it." She replied in a tired voice and placed the receiver on the phone, cutting the call. She rolled her upper lip in her mouth as she leaned back on the huge Italian leather chair, stretching her arms and folding them behind her neck to rest her head on them. Her legs automatically went up as they rested themselves on the desk in front of her, letting her lean further back into the chair.

She was the picture of tired.

And that's exactly how her Beta found her, when he opened the door to her office, entering without even a cursory knock.

"Put a leash on your emotions, will you? I can practically feel the anger and weariness you're projecting," He commented, as he stepped inside, shutting the wooden door silently behind him.

Ah, He's talking about the Telelink, She mused, as her lips tugged up in a smile. All Pack members were linked to each other telepathically, and they could send their thoughts to one another. But the problem here was, their emotions were usually hard to control and so, they mostly flowed through the link without their knowledge.

He sauntered over to one of the cushion chairs in front of the matt black desk, and made himself comfortable on one of them. He either wasn't surprised at her behavior or he hid it very well. But, She suspected that it was the former, because he had walked in on her emotion fests one too many times to make a big deal out of it.

Having your best-friend — or at least the one who tops the list of best-friends — as your Beta and close confidant does have it's perks.

"You won't guess what happened this time," She said resignedly, as she rubbed a hand over her face in exhaustion. A yawn escaped her mouth before she could reign it, and she internally cringed when she noticed her best-friend's face hardening considerably.

"I don't know what happened and honestly? I just don't care, Alarice." He snapped, glaring daggers with his chocolate brown eyes. "All I know is that, no matter what, you shouldn't be over-working yourself like this! You need some rest goddamnit! Tell me, when was the last time you slept?" He quirked a challenging brow, crossing his huge, well-built arms across his muscular chest.