Chapter 13 - "Why Would I Be Jealous Of A Fictional Character!?"

"You sure they'll come?" I ask, fiddling with my brand new cuff links, as I glance at the grand wooden double doors for the umpteenth time that night.

"They will," Alarice replies from her place beside me — we're sitting on the same side of a table for 4 — shrugging her shoulders without a care in the world. "Koy won't miss an opportunity to diss me, Anders-San,"

I look at her flatly.

"You get it? Anders-San, like Daniel-San from Karate Kid, the old movie, of course. Not the new one, I mean the new is one good too, great even, but I just love the old movie so much! I mean, how can you not? Daniel-San is so cute! His chocolate hair and green eyes are swoon-wort—"

"Seriously, Alarice?"

"Seriously, I think you've not seen him," She turns to the other side and whips out her Galaxy Note V from her huge purse, her long fingers flying over the screen in a rapid fashion, "Wait, I'll show a pict—"

"Alarice!" I call, glowering. She jumps in surprise and looks up from her tablet, her face bathed in the blue glow of the screen.

She looks like an innocent angel...

"What?" She asks, spreading the hand that's not holding her tablet to the side, raising her shoulders as she angles her body to face me fully.

"It's been one hour, I'm hungry as hell and I don't want to listen about "Daniel-San" and his apparent "cuteness"," I make air quotes with my fingers, feeling snippy as hell. "When the heck will they come!?" I exclaim and the confusion morphs into realisation in her angel-like features.

She smirks.

"You're jealous," she observes, a triumphant grin spreading across her painted pink lips.

"W-What!" I stutter, stunned. "Why would I be jealous of a fictional character!" I throw my hands up in the air, my eye brows shooting up.

"You so are." Alarice says with an unmistakable note of victory in her voice, reaching out a hand to pull up the imaginary collar of her shirt. I open and close my mouth in an attempt to make a comeback, because...because c'mon! I'm not jealous of "Daniel-San"! But unfortunately, nothing comes out.

She grins and leans forward, making her small diamond pendant glint as she grabs a breadstick from the woven, bamboo basket placed in the centre of the table.

She's been eating too much if you ask me, though my opinion doesn't matter.

"Denial is not good for health, my sweet little Anders-San, but anyway..." She says in a sing-song voice, her smile wide, as she pops the bread stick into her mouth, biting on one corner, "I think you should try these," She gestures to the basket, talking in between a mouthful.

I try to grimace, but an amused smile pushes past my playful frown, "Seriously—God I should stop saying that word again and again—but coming to the point," I say in one breath, exhaling when I finish, "I don't know how you can say the most random things at the most important time possible,"

She giggles, swallowing the food.

"I'm random like that," she proclaims, pointing to herself with yet another breadstick she just swooped, "But, I'm not just a random girl," she grins, nibbling on said breadstick.

I shake my head, "I think we all know that,"

I reach forward for a breadstick, my eyes refusing to move from her happy grin, only to feel my fingers blindly scramble at nothing. I reluctantly drag my gaze down, frowning at the empty basket. "I - I thought...wait, did you eat it all!?"