Chapter 10 - "You're Sleeping With Me."

Anders Larzelere's PoV:

Chapter 10 - "You're Sleeping With Me."

"So why do you call your loved ones, 'Mates'?" I ask, sipping on my soda.

I didn't want to drink in a place where I'm held hostage. You'll never know what anyone might do to you, when you're vulnerable.

Alarice takes a swig of her beer, and then swipes a hand across her mouth. "Oh. That..." She drags. "It's short for, 'Soulmates'." Alarice shrugs quickly, as if that explains it all.

I almost spit out my soda. "Soulmates?!" I exclaim, shocked.

"Um, yes?" She looks unsure of what she should say, and I blink at her, once, twice, thrice, stunned that she takes such a big term so easily.

"You mean to say that, you told your parents that I'm your soulmate?" I clarify, and she blushes slightly.

"Yeah...So what?"

"Are you effing serious?"

"Yes, yes. I am."

"Oh." I swallow down the ball of nervousness, trying to act cool about it.

"Hey, Alarice! Congratulations!" A perky voice exclaims and I turn around to see a short blonde girl, with grayish blue eyes that are now twinkling due to her big smile. Alarice grins as well, walking forward and embracing her in a hug.

"Wow, Elle! You've grown so much!" She muses, and then pulls back, examining the girl from top to bottom.

The girl smiles somewhat shyly. "Ha ha. Today's about you, Cousin!" She shrugs, then shares a conspiring look with Alarice.

She then turns to me. "Hello! Brother-in-law!"

I sigh. Another cheerful family member? Just my luck.

"Hey, sister-in-law." I say in a monotonous voice, looking at her flatly.

The girl bursts out laughing, finding the whole situation amusing.

♥︎ ♥︎ ♥︎

"Finally," I sigh, and collapse on the living room couch, when Alarice sends out the last of the guests and shuts the main door.

She waves one last time at her Cousin, Elle, through the window and turns around, almost skipping back to the living room.

"Why are you so damn happy all the time?" I whine, glowering at her.

She smiles wider at that.

"I don't know. I'm just so happy nowadays!" She exclaims and walks to the couch with a spring on her steps, collapsing on it beside me.

"Pfft." I sigh, and let my head fall back on the couch. The high chandelier captures my attention, and I carefully examine the way the light falls and reflects off each of the glass piece forming it.

"Today was awesome, wasn't it?" Alarice says suddenly, and I turn my head slightly to the right to find her looking at the ring on my hand.

I blush and fist my fingers, hiding them behind my back.

"Maybe for you. You should've warned me, y'know? I felt like I'd pass out from how fast my heart was beating." I mock-glare at her, and then turn my head back to the ceiling.

"I know, right! I heard it too!" She exclaims in an overly cheerful and pleased tone.

"Huh? Heard what?" I ask, turning back to her in confusion.